Friday, January 31, 2014

Day 31 - End of an Era, Transfer Deadline Day & Change will have to be tomorrow

"The body is the soul's house. Shouldn't we therefore take care of our house so that it doesn't fall into ruin?

Philo Judaeus

I like this statement. I like it very much. It gives me a sense of perspective about the inside job. About the search for self love. To look after oneself. Nurture and respect health. Nourish my soul. To seek self enlightenment and look after this precious thing called life.

Today I nurtured my soul by stuffing 4 saveloy's, 2 scotch eggs, a packet of pork scratchings and 6 slices of buttered corned beef down my neck. The Soul's House cleaning will have to wait until tomorrow. Do I win the least nutritious food of the day contest? Some days you just have that, 'fuck it I'll be healthy tomorrow moments', don't we? (He says hopefully not being alone) Progress Not Perfection.

       *************************************************************

Today was an end of an era. My last day working  on my own business in a shared office with my best mate. Next week I will be starting a superb full time job in town, of which I will have to get my head down, work hard and alter this blog accordingly. It's too good an opportunity to f**k up!  I left the shared office today in Guilford. It's been  base for just over a year and it will be sad to leave my best mate.

We have been like school-mates. Egging each other on to bunk off or mess around. Brilliant to lift the mood but useless at building a business. We were both as bad as each other, however there has been a change in the last few months where the dossing has decreased and focus has increased, as we twigged the only way to make a success of something is to work hard.

However it's still been nice, to interrupt him at some points, lean across the desk and whisper, 'I hate you'. Either that or make each other watch completely random You Tube clips. Watching Junior Kick Start form 1985 is so much better then a spread-sheet. A slacker doesn't need much excuse to slack, so we were bad and good for each other in so many ways. I'll miss him but it's time to work hard and get my head down.

I have learnt a lot over the past year in trying to set up a company/seek investment. There are so many times when you doubt yourself, what you are doing, your product, the future. It is a hard lonely road. You must learn self discipline, motivation, thick skin and self belief. There are so many things to consider and today after months of hard work a project I have had a great idea for had small investment confirmed. It will be a side-line project with a small team but it was a great way to end my entrepreneurial year. All the staff said, 'never give up' and 'it often happens in a different way to the one you started with.' They were so right, I found that out today.

It feels the right time to move into a new arena, but I will miss my mate a lot and to sit in the car in Tesco car park today eating pork scratchings at each other to see who had the loudest crunch will always stay with me. We laughed at each other in a moment of genuine happiness. We are 41 years old. Probably less in mental age than his 4 year old son. I love that man (In a masculine back slapping don't show your emotion kind of way)

    **********************************************************

Today is transfer deadline day. (At this point women stop reading) - It is the most insane day of the year in Football. The media create a frenzied hysteria about club's scrambling around to sign players. Sky Sports go ape shit for it. Cue a rained on presenter being stationed outside the gates of each club with a group of out of work fans standing in the background cheering at a collection of over paid officials screeching past in blacked out window range rovers.

It is insane. 'Breaking News Jim. I can confirm Stoke City have signed a player nobody has heard of or know for £2.3 million'. Who fucking cares? 'Anyway onto other news Jim. Today 25,000 people were killed in Syria'. Boring lets see who Spurs have got in on loan.

It's mental. What other businesses rush around trying to do multi million pound deals by fax before 11pm as they are cheered or jeered by a series of middle age men in oversize nylon replica shirts they have paid £50 for? Football is now insane.

I actually witnessed today Sky Sports at it's best. They did a breaking news Exclusive story live from Stoke City FC. Some cameras picked up their chairman and CEO jumping up and down seemingly celebrating in their office. Sky reported the following;

"We can go to Stoke City for some exclusive news. I can confirm these are live pics of CEO and Chairman celebrating. We cannot confirm about what at this point but they have been chasing Lee Catermole all day for £5.5million. It maybe the signing they were waiting for."

Turns out they were celebrating the Pizza delivery turning up. That's Deadline Day for you. Sums it up really. Insane.

Anyway I'm off. This blog has slammed shut for the day

Together We Are Stronger

Nicholas Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment