Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 332 - Weds 12th Dec - Advent Day 12 - 12/12/12 & Xmas Shopping Begins

It's a monumental day for those of you who like their numbers. Carol Vordeman must be literally creaming her pants. It's the 12/12/12. Or for the uninitiated. Wednesday.

It's the last time this century we will have this sequence of numbers. For many it's a lucky day. For others romantic. Many are getting married if only not to forget their anniversary. Sighs of relief for many husbands around the globe.

For others 12 is a significant number. 12 hours of daylight, 12 months in a year, 12 steps in a recovery programme, 12 days of Xmas and for the extremely fortunate, 12 inches.

For others it means absolutely nothing. Just another day? I have to admit it slipped me by today i was more interested in the report on Jimmy Saville. The Met Police had 600 complaints against him to investigate and 31 cases of rape. He was quite possibly the most prolific sex offender this country has known. How's about that then? Usually such prolific criminals like to keep a low profile and not mince about in front of millions of people in a gold shell suit and string vest. It is rather hard to believe the man became as successful as he did. Clearly the UK has to take a long hard look at it's tastes and popularity of some of it's Celebrities.

Piers Morgan for instance. Why is he famous? And mores the point why does he get to interview a series of equally as annoying celebrities who are exceptionally dull on 'Life stories'. Say what you like if Saville would have had the chance to speak the truth it would have made compelling TV, and he still would have been more popular than Piers Morgan.

Anyway enough of such misery. The real story today is that I started my Xmas shopping. In the old days Xmas started on the 12th when the tree went up and everyone started getting in the spirit. I took this upon myself to begin the shopping today and I liked it.

I love Xmas shopping. Trying to figure out stuff that people would like or make them laugh. I like to be thoughtful unlike typical blokes, plus I find it relaxing and it takes my mind off me, which is always a bonus.

It's best to go in the week when it's not crazy busy. I can't do weekends. Too hectic. I'd rather watch Piers Morgan. Instead today was chilled and relaxing. Plus it was dark and freezing cold which adds to the atmosphere.

I bought some books and annuals. Xmas is not Xmas without an annual. Something you can read on the khazi for 10 minutes and then it's done. I got them from WH Smith which is my new favourite shop. it has replaced Woolworths as it has everything including caravan magazines. Once you get over it's annoying habit of trying to flog you endless Galaxy bars for £1 at the till and handing you more special offers than a Halal butchers at Ramadan. It's a top little shop.There's something reassuringly old school about it.

One book took my fancy; Bond on Bond

 
Look at the classic Roger Mooreosorous. The daddy of Man camp. The look that shaped my style from a kid. So influential. He and Lewis Collins were the guvnors. Look at him. Crimpoline strides tight at top with a slight flare, blazer, striped tie and perma tan. Legend.
 
The other thing I love about WH Smiths is the weird offers. It's like you've taken acid. 2 books for £20 or £23 each. I've thought long and hard about that offer and I still can;t work it out. It's totally nuts.
 
The other things I noticed whilst out shopping were classic festive presents and things that seem to come out during this time of the year that you rarely see at other times.
 
 
Marzipan fruits. Totally pointless sweets that look like fruits. Only at Xmas and only bought for people over the age of 70. It's when you have no idea of what to buy so you go for the Marzipan fruits. Either that or;
 
 
It's sister. Jelly Fruits. Usually reserved for old Aunties or people you have no emotional attachment with.
 
These really are festive items and completely useless ones at that. Along with all the novelty jokey things, books, chocolate. The list is endless.
 
I only took an hour getting a few things and i even went into a little gift shop. You know the ones. Twee and frilly and fucking expensive. I had no right being in one of those. I felt completely out of place. It was full of old women or Richmond Mums. Everything in there was what one describe as 'non essentails'. There was nothing that was useful and made me wonder a)who buys that shit and b)How do they keep trading? Britain is crawling with these little shops and I can't think for the life of me why. Thankfully it was next to Robert Dyas so I nipped in there to look at power tools to reclaim my masculinity.
 
That was the end of 12-12-12. I ran 10k at the gym, knocked out some sprints in the frozen park, did some weights and felt better. I learnt today that Xmas shopping for people and exercising takes me out of me and I like it
 
Merry Xmas
 
xx
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Marked 12:12 am on the 12.12.12, H37 going from St Mags to Richmond in case grandchildren ask what I was doing on such an auspicious day.
    This morning at 630 class, Chiswick Bikram said "Is he the guy with the blog, when I mentioned a mate had been banned from Richmond Bikram"
    Have a great one and go well.

    ReplyDelete