Friday, December 7, 2012

Day 326 - Thurs 6th Dec - Advent Day 6 - Comedy Chops

Apologies today's blog was a little late. I did my Comedy Night which took up a lot of time. It was Xmas Comedy Chops. It was a huge success and I liked it.

Regular readers will know how wound up I get around it. They will also know how much my head is wrapped up in the execution of it. Of course all self absorbed and self obsessed but well meaning.

Today was slightly different. I had some material, from my 'blokes are shit at xmas', I'd already done a 10 min gig on Tuesday, so i was much better prepared than usual. It made me far more relaxed about the evening and have a better perspective.

There were lots of booking so I knew it would be busy. So I concentrated in the day on making the venue as good as possible, picking up the meat raffle from my lovely mate (who had just lost his Mum so It was good to give him a hug even if he was covered in Mince - He is a Butcher)

I felt pretty calm all day and I had also put it in Timeout Comedy guide, promoted it on the usual digital sources, written material, booked really good acts, bought a load of Xmas shit prezzies to give away. I had done my best. Now all I had to do was do it.

The evening turned out to be a great success. Around 70 turned up. We had a group of 16 and 9 on their Xmas parties. The acts were superb, the audience really up for it making the atmosphere buzzing. Everyone seemed to have a good time,, lots of people laughed so it appeared Job Done.

I managed to get plenty of material out and even if some was a little ropey it was good to do & other bits were pretty good. I felt relaxed and comfortable and just for a little while just a wee bit proud. Most comedians trial out new material bit by bit. I wrote a whole new piece and did it all and it was OK. So this little bender felt pretty chuffed with himself.

I like Comedy Chops. It's developing nicely. Neither a full on serious pure comedy club nor a cool relaxed 'alternative' night. It's a great room and I think we've found the right formula now. People seem to leave happy and say good things about it and bottom line it's the punters who decide, but Inside I know if i feel happy and if i did my best and on today's I did. I will make a big effort to really establish it in 2013. Good news!

Not got any humour today though as I got in and then proceeded to stay up until 6am as i was totally wired. Watching the video of the evening and how to improve things. I finally got to 6am and considered the all nighter. Hitting a breakfast meeting before going to my works Xmas do. In the end i decided to get a couple of hours kip so crawled to bed at 6.30am. Doing it sober is just not quite right.

No Xmas advent message today. It's 6 Geese A-Laying. I think we best leave the bestiality group sex banter to the professionals

xx





No comments:

Post a Comment