Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 249 - Tues 18th Sept - Friends Top Trumps

Awake after too little kip (again) meaning i didn't skip into the day. Lets get the dull stuff out of the way, here's what I've done;

  • Signed on - I know grim huh but needs must for the time being.
  • Put off a run for 7 hours
  • Had an interview about a potential part time job (Rugby club)
  • Received 2 messages saying 'i just saw you on the tellie' (Ego nicely fed for the day - what the hell am i going to do when it ends in 1 week?)
  • Went to a 'test shoot' for a casting agency - Ended up being a rip off as the Italian photographer broke the news it would cost £390. I gently told him 'no thanks' and walked away. Looks like my search for world domination continues. On hindsight i wish 'test shoot' would have been different and i could have gunned down the little Italian fraudster
  • Joined a dentist - my teeth are fucked
  • Put off a run some more
  • Went for a run at 6pm
  • Lay on sofa for the evening watching Friday Night Lights unable to move. #monged (i know it's a Bit un PC after Paralympics)
That's it. There's not alot of action is there?

I've been watching loads of Friday Night Lights and it's so good. I've shared before I'm such an addict that when i put a box set on, i continually watch it one after the other until it's finished. I can't get enough. It's exactly like drinking, sex or Haagen Dazs.

But it's proper class. I've been in tears most of the time. Not just tears but proper wailing. You know head in the hands style. It's so emotional, There are so many heavy story lines about parent and child, absent fathers (always gets me) Manic depression (again) Alcoholism (finishes me off). Then great writing and story lines about friendship. It made me think.

You can rank friends in order. Almost like a friends top trumps.

Friends are well important. They are what define you as a person. If your friends are class then it probably means you're a decent person too. I've seen so many people who have flaky friends, egotistical, shallow friends, knob head friends, idiot selfish fake false plastic friends and it's grim. I call those 'fuckhead friends' and they rank low on friendship but high on getting you a VIP pass to a club.

Then You have 'Facebook friends', otherwise known as strangers but you need them to boost your ego and make it look like you are popular.

I know people who thought they have had friends only to see them leave in times of trouble. These are 'fun time friends'. They score highly on getting you drunk, snorting all your coke and eating all your food when times are good but very low on actually being there when needed. Otherwise known as 'wanker ex friends'.

I have seen people who find it difficult to make friends only to see them change radically as they added people to their lives. 'Life changing New friends'. They rank pretty high.

Then you have 'friends with beneifts'. That is technically is misnomer. Usually you respect and like friends but 'friends with benefits' or 'fuckbuddy' you don't respect, or in most cases actually like. If you just have sex and then immediately want to leave or watch Top Gear (or both) then they are not actually in the friend family. They don't make the list.

There is of course 'Friends Reunited'. See above. People you knew at school and hated so why would you want to see them again in adulthood. I guess out of a macabre interest to see how much weight they've put on or kids they've had by different fathers. But these are ones best to avoid. Afterall what if the class spooner has actually made it better than you? No you cannot risk that humiliation.

You have AA friends. People in same boat as you, who you don't even know their last name but you have a special kinship and unison with. You know they'd help you out in a shot and makes me well up every time i think about them.

And finally you have the highest ranking ones. 'Old friends'. The ones who have seen you through all kinds of shit, hairstyles, relationships. Life friends and they trump anyone. I have many of these and i am lucky. My old friends are totally superb even if they are all married with kids. You know they are rock solid and you love them in a manly bear hug kind of way.

True friends are hard to find. Fergal Sharkey knows all about that. But it's true. It helps to know What does a friend actually mean? Here's the terminology;

1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.

2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.

3. A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.

4. One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement:
 
Finally you have the American TV show 'Friends'. Which is basically slow suicide. That doesn't make the list.
 
I'm a bit shit at keeping in touch with my friends. Remembering birthdays, christenings etc. I don't see my pals for long periods sometimes but it's the same as ever when we meet up. There is genuine warmth, affection and love. I know i will know them forever and that is a lovely thought.
 
So I'm spreading the love for friends tonight. Sometimes my head plays havoc with me, placing me in self imposed negative exile. But is there any better feeling then hanging out with friends, laughing at the same things, relaxing, feeling good?
 
Usually i would throw a gag onto the end of that to end the blog. Come up with a really witty and clever ending. Bringing it all together with a resounding climax, but i had one of those earlier and i have nothing in me. The tank is empty so to speak, I've just watched an episode of FNL and I've been crying. Not that much, I'll of course overplay and say loads to make girls go 'ahhhhhhhhh' and feel good about me, (Yes i am actually that shallow) - but the tears did come and just made me think how incredibly lucky i am to have great friends who love me despite my gay pants and too tight jeans. Plus it's always a bonus to have a few people to ponce a tenner off when needed, especially as my giro's not due until Tuesday.
 
xx
 
 




1 comment:

  1. This is a gem!
    "My old friends are totally superb even if they are all married with kids"

    ReplyDelete