Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day 232 - Sat 1st Sep - Day 6 Hol Blog - Tesco Advert

Done worry blog not as long today people and it's a tight ending.

I’ve done it! I’ve reached what’s known in the sunbathing world as ‘Official Dickinson’. The holy grail. You can only dream of it as you shiver in Britain’s wettest summer in 100 years, but bang a week in Turkey into the mix, show some commitment and hey presto. I’m beiger than a 70’s Geography teacher. My work is done. I shall be expecting a telegram from the King of Beige himself any time soon.

 

It’s always good to have goals on holiday. I set out to look the same colour as my brown leather belt and I’ve nailed it. But I’m not satisfied, I’m not stopping now. Day 7 is all about going for the impossible. I’m looking to go the same colour as Elvis’ black leather suit so I blend in at Pub Idle 3, my 40th birthday party next Sat.

 

I’m Tired today, so I sent the girls off on a jeep safari all day. I was just not up for it, so I had a day on my own, in peace, to try and get on with what I needed to do, other than do a reverse Michael Jackson. (Go from white to black)

 

Slept, ran (1 hour), sunbathed, read, did a 2 hour writing stint, a gym session, wrote some more and that was the day complete. Time soon goes.

 

Saturday night soon came and I continued to get loads more messages about the Tesco Mobile advert. Mostly from people I haven’t seen for a ages. It must be airing on prime time TV. It’s funny because it’s an advert and I appear for a massive 4 seconds, people are doing a double take. “Is that Nick?” When you have a pal in TV or the movies you know they will appear on screen, when you have a pal who’s effectively a nobody and they appear fleetingly in an advert you don’t expect it, so it’s a total double take.

 

I’ve had messages from Portugal and the best one goes to William, a Millwall fan, who informed me the advert was played at half time on the big screen at The Den today. Great, I’m in my kegs doing yoga at Milwall FC. He did the line of day though, when he said “you’ll understand why I didn’t mention to everyone I know the bloke in his underpants on the telly”

 

It’s been a massive response (for me) around 30 messages from people. Mostly saying well done. Not sure why though, as all I did was sit around in my grundies in Kew Gardens for 2 hours to have 4 seconds used in an advert selling a pony old mobile phone. They didn’t even give me one. And I’m told I only got the gig because I’m cheaper than Beckham and don’t bone as many Welsh Opera singers.

 

I’m exactly 14 mins and 56 seconds shy of Warhol’s 15 minutes of fame. Much rather get a well done from something I’ve actually achieved. Still I’m gunning for more. Aldi, Lidel, Focus, Poundstretcher. Asda. Bring them all on.

 

The night was spent setting the world chicken kebab eating record. I unofficially clocked my own body weight in grilled meat, 3 times I went up and still the diet buffet was empty. God was in the house again, though he went for pasta tonight. Must get a picture with Mr Omnipotence tomorrow.

 

Then it was ‘show time’. Because it’s a family hotel they put on a show every night at 10pm. Now the first 2 nights basically made me want to kill myself, so I ducked out of night 3. Tonight was ‘Beach Party’ on the beach and was actually very good. All professional dancers fire juggling, performance art, fire breathing, dancing to loud pumping music to a backdrop of mountains and full moon. It was a proper show and impressive.

 

However, the most impressive thing was the Scandinavian MC who started off the night by loudly proclaiming everyone to come down the stairs to the ‘Bitch Party’. He couldn’t pronounce Beach, so plumped for ‘Bitch’. I’ve never seen an all inclusive bar empty so quickly.

 

Sadly it was actually a beach party, but my wandered to what a ‘Bitch Party’ would look like. I’ll keep those thoughts to myself though, they are pretty wrong.

 

They then got all kids and adults up to do the conga and dance the Macarena etc. It was actually my vision of what hell looks like. An enforced fun that comes with family entertainment. Though I did observe behaviour in myself I don’t particularly care for and would like to change. It’s my in built cynicism and judgment.

 

I mean there were Palestinians and Lebanese blokes rushing around taking pics of their kids and wives, trying to dance and failing miserable. One was actually stunning in his complete inability for any basic rhythm. He looked like he was having a stroke.

 

But what I did was observe. Take the piss in my own head and judge. I mean OK it is actually a vision of hell. People are obsessed with taking pics constantly to ‘capture a moment’ whilst totally missing it because they have a camera stuffed in their hands, enforced fun is painful but so what. I was with a 10 year old; I should have been down there busting some shapes making a tit of myself.

 

I have come to the conclusion I too suffer from ‘locked in’ syndrome. I mean I can actually move my body but too often I’m locked in self trying to look cool, unable to cut loose from fear, image, whatever. It’s about time I took of the brakes and stopped worrying about making myself look an idiot, taking myself way too seriously and let go. What does it matter what people think? That’s not my business? It’s restricting and debilitating.

 

I mean come on Nick, should you really take yourself too seriously and be worried about people laughing or taking the piss of you when you have posed in your kegs doing poncy yoga with a massive quiff in red budgie smugglers in front of 12,000 Millwall fans at the Den? Good job they’re crap otherwise it would have been 20,000

 

It’s surely time to let go and cut loose. Obviously I’m delighted to have reached ‘Dickinson’ status but maybe that should be my other goal for the holiday?

 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment