Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 237 - Thurs 6th September - Birthday Comedy Chops

Today is my comedy night. It's come around again. Looming large on my fearometer. Always niggling at the back of my head. Tonight Comedy Chops returns.

It's Part 2 of my 40th Birthday Trilogy (Pub Idle 3 to follow on Saturday night) and if I'm honest the thing i get most fearful about.

I've written quite a bit of material (not remembered it so it's written down on a clipboard), promoted it quite a bit and booked 3 good acts. In short I've done everything i can.

I'm covering Neil Armstrong's death, Turning 40 (of course) The Tesco Mobile advert and Olympics.

I spent all day avoiding actually writing down the gags, memorising and speaking it through. I made so many cups of tea, smoked numerous cigarettes and watch Elvis so many times on You Tube i actually felt constipated aswell.

Finally at 2pm i settled down and banged in a few hours graft. In my kitchen speaking out loud i sounded magnificent. The material was dynamite. Amazing. Like a cross between Bill Hicks and Billy Connolly. My god I'm a genius.

Then when i drove to the Hurlingham pub for the Comedy, my material got progressively shittier with every passing Mile. Until when i reached the pub in SW6 it was about as funny as Joe Pasquali with haemorrhoid's. How did that happen? In the space of 6 miles i went from Comedy God to Comedy Dogshit. Weird. Good job the gig wasn't furher. Would have been Mental carnage, or marnage.

My routine is always the same. I panic all day with low level fear. I usually have around 5 shits. Don't eat anything, smoke and drink diet coke and write down my material on a big sheet. Then i arse about putting it off watching Flog It! until i get sick of myself and knuckle down. Then i read it through 3 or 4 times and have shower. (today i used my birthday presents and gave myself a facial, which in the old days would have meant a really keen wank on my back, but now that I'm 40 meant clinique face scrub & moisturiser)

Then i get in the car and spend the journey trying to pray to relax, remember its only a pub comedy night and not to take myself too seriously. Usually that works for around 3 seconds so i start smoking & worrying again.

When i get to the pub i usually try to change the entire room layout needlessly causing massive headache for the staff, only to change it back. Then i go through a series of conversations with people without listening as I'm only thinking if people will actually show up, then at 8.50pm i go outside and look up and down the road hoping to see an army of 50 people coming to bolster the meagre crowd inside. I go to my car, smoke and consider running away. Then i pray, head back and it's time to start at 9pm. Fuck me, now I've got to remember to be funny and relaxed!

We had 44 people in, it was a lovely room. Atmosphere was excellent and i did all my material, some of which was pretty dam good. I relaxed, had fun and the acts were very very good tonight and it was one of the best nights I've done. I actually enjoyed it.

All that worry, stress, fear, panic for no reason. I actually saw potential in my style, delivery and material. This little soldier was a teeny bit proud tonight and i can actually look forward to my party now on Saturday. Phew.

On the health front i sank several litres of diet coke, smoked numerous cigarettes and got to bed at 3am for a 8am start for work. I shan't be posting that one on Nick Evans Personal Training. sshhhhhhh

xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment