Sunday, March 18, 2012

Friday & Saturday 16th & 17th March

Mileage - 0 both days  - Weekly Mileage 20.

Friday was a day of bugger all, Saturday spent travelling down to Wales for Mothers Day and to see Nan. I reached there at 1pm, went straight to Vodafone to get a dongle. Spent 15 minutes queuing behind a couple of Welsh women asking inane questions like - "which button do you press to switch it on". After a rather tense wait and in my mind machine gunning the entire queue and 12 year old staff (all 2 of them) i achieved the purchase of the dongle. Which subsequently didn't work. Why is life so f**** complicated!!!

Then it was quick nip into Asda to pick up a couple of things. Weaved my way through the mobility scooters, fake tans and leopard skin leggings. MC Asda informed everyone there was a special offer on Carling in aisle 48 and punnets of Strawberries were reduced to 48p. It was good to know.

Then it was to Brymoor Road to watch Wales win the Grand Slam whilst supping tea and eating boiled mints. First time I've watched a rugby match with my Mother, who twitched and jumped more than a kid with ADHD on amphetamine sulphate. Nervy.

Order was restored to LLanelli, when immediately after the game my Auntie Gwynie rang my Mum to have a 15 minute 'nonversation' about Doreen's bunions and Mrs Jenkins next door. The sound was turned down whilst the cup was being presented. FFS it's the Grand Slam mun, Who gives a f*** about Doreen's bunions. But, it was classic Llanelli Auntie 'nonversation'. I should be used to it by now, but right on final whistle? Come on.

Then after more Rugby, England v Ireland - my god it's like a sport orgy today. Rugby all day, football, Formula 1 (yawn) Then it was off to see me Nan, in hospital.

She looked frail, weak and tiny but her spirit was good. The ward is a pretty depressing place and she is focused on being let out and getting home for her final few weeks/months. Pretty inspiring stuff.

We went through my journey, what was eaten for lunch, Sunday lunch tomorrow, the lady in the bed opposite and how smart and tidy my new haircut is. The Rugby was discussed and then we went back to the weather, more talk on food. It's crucial in Wales to discuss and plan at least 2 meals ahead with Sunday lunch of course being the Main Attraction.

What made me smile was hearing about my Uncle Ken 'and those on it there' Probert. Not only does he now say 'and those on it there' in every sentence, he's taken to saying 'yes indeed, indeed yes' as well, for no apparent reason. The man could say an entire sentence without actually making any sense or saying anything. Very Llanelli.

Anyway, as you know they like to eat Sunday Lunch early in Wales. The earliest recorded at my Nan's was 11.30am, as my brother had a long drive home once. Lunch was on the table at 11.30am, only 2 hours after Egg and Bacon.

But Uncle Ken is going to surpass that tomorrow. He is off out with family for lunch at his favourite place, The Ashburnham Country Club, Llanelli. He has made the cardinal error of not booking. He wants to eat in the Conservatory area, as it's child friendly, so effectively it is first come first served. He, apparently, is getting there at 11am. Ready to go. Bring on the Roast. Exceptional commitment.

he will actually be getting ready for lunch in his Sunday best (Cardigan, shirt and tie, with freshly pressed Farah trousers and slip ons - tassel optional) at 10am. When most people in London are just stumbling into Starbucks considering a skinny Latte, my Uncle Ken is preparing for Sunday Lunch. So Llanelli. So funny.

Then when they rang the bell for the end of visiting. (not an electronic bell, but an actual bell like closing time - straight up no lie) it was back to Brymoor Road for a bit of TV, dinner and watching my Mum snore on the reclining armchair (she'll hate me for sharing that) whilst i looked in the fridge every 6 minutes. Hell raising Saturday it was not, but Mothers Day llanelli it was.

loved every minute.

Long run tomorrow, but if I'm honest I'm not feeling peak condition. I'm more worried about Sunday lunch then the run. We are booked into a pub where the portions are larger than the entire food mountain for Syria. It's gonna be big.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment