Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 61 - Friday 2nd March - If it doesnt Rain it Pours

5 miles, 40 Min's, weekly miles 10.

End of the week. Thank god. It's been pretty brutal. Long sleep last night and starting to feel human again. Early morning call from my mother saying my Nan was ill and going into hospital was concerning. She was convinced she was going to die, as she had a blockage in her throat meaning she couldn't eat or drink. That is not good for anyone, let alone a 96 year old.

You think that people will last for ever. Especially ones with as much spirit and toughness as her. She has an incredible spirit. Lets hope it's  not a tumour but an old lodged welsh cake. Bless her, she is incredible and of course i love my Welsh Nan to bits, and those, on it then. (** for anyone who read my Welsh Blog, the Green Green Grass of Home will know my Uncle Ken adds the words 'and those, on it then' onto the end of sentences. For no apparent reason) Very Welsh insane. classic

My day when not spent worrying about my Nan, or the drunk in hospital, was spent reasonably busy at work, culminating in a Friday afternoon argument with a fellow employee who had the hump that i was now taking management of the Stationary. He was angry and eventually started threatening me and calling me a prick. Clearly this stationary issue has morphed into a UN style stand off. I believe wars were started on stationary. It is clearly a key issue and one that requires great strategic responsibility.

I have taken over the poisoned stapler, and had no idea of the large egos that goes into managing stationary. Clearly Ray Harvey felt that his life was defined by his power over the business cards. I don't even want to do the fucking thing so why am i being called a prick? I am looking forward to this power struggle. It may develop into a paper cut fight with everyone in the office standing round shouting, 'bundle, bundle, bundle'

I don't believe the man stopped to ask me if i was having a really bad week or if my nan was dying at the time. Kind of highlights how offices operate. No-one really gives a fuck about anyone else other than themselves. Still, i think i won the argument. My favourite bit was when he was accusing me of 'treading on his toes'. 'Don't tread on my toes'. I said, 'Ray, i don't know where you're fucking toes are. So how can i tread on them'. It had taken a surreal twist and i actually laughed at myself saying that line. It was very surreal and funny.

Fuck Syria, Poverty, world issues, Death, disease, war. What about those fucking envelopes. I will have to order them with my toes.

Got back to the temporary home in Barnes i have put together and moved to temporarily but don't own and won't be living at (why am i doing this again Nick?) at 5.30pm and immediately got kit on and went for a short run.

Ended up doing a quick 5 miler in fading light by the river. Wanted to do further but was rather caught short by the huge need to do a shit (we return to this subject). I made the fatal error of going out on a bloated stomach, thinking it was just windy pops and thought i would machine gun fart it out as i ran. Wrong.

After 30 minutes the farts were almost touching cloth and i had no intention of following through, so i clenched for the remaining mile or so, until i reached the safety of (temporary) home. It says something when you almost spend longer on the loo than i did on the pavement. Clearly need to prepare better next time, but panic averted.

An evening of visiting the sick in hospital and eating tuna watching TV and falling asleep early beckoned. My god, where did my exciting Johny London lifestyle go. Or did i ever really have it? Wrote blog and then fell asleep early doors. Going to try and do 10 miles tomorrow and 18 or so on Sunday so the boy needs his rest.

Me Nan survived the day and is on a drip in hospital, and something in me says this isn''t the end and she will be back home soon. Though to be fair, I'll let her off making the full welsh roast and welsh cakes. One has to make allowances for the elderly.

So that's the week people. It's been emotional, painful, challenging and interesting. I'm still standing and i am here for the family, though please nan get better so i can do my long run on Sunday. See, told you I'm working on my selfishness. It's coming on really well.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment