Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 69 - Saturday 10th March

Mileage 7 - Time 1 hour 2 minutes. Weekly Mileage - 24 miles

My god, day 69. Surely that's deserving of a celebration? A 69 to celebrate day 69. MMM, well wishful thinking as i am sat here, in 14 Brymoor Road, Llanelli, South Wales. My Nan's house.  My mother is upstairs, humming (that's noise wise not smell), my brother is in the kitchen eating loudly and my Nan is in hospital. I have about as much chance of a 69 as Stephen Hawkins. Though it would be fun to hear him try.

Today I've come down to the place of my birth. my spiritual home, Llanelli to visit my Nan. I didn't get here until 6ish, as i spent the morning at a meeting and then running 7 miles along the Thames. I have to say, for the 1st 30 minutes i felt like shit on a stick. Awful. The run was just a plod. Tired, lethargic, full. I wasn't at my best. Though it was a beautiful day and the river path to Putney was choc a bloc full of runners, walkers, rowers and posers (i was the former) - However when i turned around and came back felt much better and powered home. Pleased i didn't go long today, not sure i could have. But was pleased to churn out 7 miles, sets me up to attempt 20 miles in Wales tomorrow.

Finally it was down to Wales at lunchtime. I had to stop at Reading services though for a kip, as my eyes started to go, and i was falling asleep. It reminded me of when i used to drink drive. Keeping one eye open to try and see straight. Tricky. Finally after a 50 minute kip i tread my merry path to My spiritual home.

I stopped at Cardiff Gate Services. It made me think, if i wanted to end my life. I'd definately do it at The Ibis Motel in the lay by at Cardiff Gate Services. A totally soulless and horrid empty place. Sod Beachy Head, this place would be the perfect place to end it. I didn't and pressed on.

Once i got to Llanelli, my 1st port of call was to Asda to get my lottery ticket. Llanelli has more winners than most in the UK, as people are poor and hate their life, so loads of them buy lottery tickets to escape. My gut feeling they would just buy a larger house to stone clad.

I love Asda in Llanelli. As soon as i walked in, the MC was announcing on the speakers in a broad welsh accent that cucumbers were 12p, sandwiches 10p and eggs reduced from 99pm to 45p. The aisles were packed with ultra harsh looking scary women, overweight, carrying kids and doughnuts in leopard print leggings. It was good to be home.

Then to 14 Brymoor Road, immaculate. And then to see my nan. In hospital. Bit of a shock as she is tiny and very poorly. Can't eat properly and struggling a little. Mind you so would i if i couldn't eat for 10 days. She still has a spirit for humanity though and her inner strength is still there. I love her very much, but even i had to look away when she took her false teeth out. I admit I'm slightly squeamish that way.

We shall go back tomorrow with a mini Sunday roast to cheer her up.

Spent the evening grazing and preparing myself mentally for 'the long one' tomorrow. It will be rather nice as the coastline is stunning (Gower Peninsular) and it is such a gorgeous open expanse, Space and place to breathe and think. I'm looking forward to.

The only thing I'm worried about is the amount of mobility scooters in the way. When you have been running for 3 hours you're legs are hard to move and weave. It may turn into a stand off between me and the mobility scooter. But there's only going to be one winner - and it's them. The scary one on the scooter in leopard print leggings. Even i, in all my years of depravity, wouldn't stoop so low.......would i? ..............Now where is that Welsh dictionary for "I like the colour of your mobility scooter, can i push you to the cafe for a coffee?"

Until tomorrow welshers. Big day tomorrow. No not the run, Sunday lunch. It's an institution down here. I'm nervous already. Seeing as my Nan's in hospital we won't be eating it at 11am, lunchtime for my Ma and I. I will hopefully will have earned it after knocking out a 20 miler. Bring it on!!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment