Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 310 - Tues 20th Nov - Positive Thinking, Exercise & Nutrition

After waking with the full effects of Walls Vienetta in my system, though thankfully these days it's not wine, whisky, vodka and MDMA. I decided the only thing that would shake off the lethargy was 6 x400 metre sprints & 100 box jumps in the local park. The wind was howling and the rain streaming down but I dragged myself to the local dog shitted park and sprinted my little ass off. There is something hugely pleasurable about going out into the bracing elements on a winters morning. Good for the soul.

Training in a local municipal park is like working for the Red Cross in mine infested lands.(probably) You have to keep your wares about you to dodge the massive amounts of dog shit. It helps you to weave and move in your training, though one lapse in concentration and splat. You have a problem. OK granted one lapse in Mine infested lands and you lose a leg or your life, so the comparison between that and getting dog shit on your Adidas trainers is a little over dramatic. Granted.

It was hard but it makes you feel good after. Obviously the ultra heavy smoking doesn't help but I felt good. Then I bumped into my neighbour. I hadn't spoken to anyone yet as it was 8.30am. So the first words I heard today from a human soul, was from my neighbour who said 'Fucking bloody awful isn't it?'

What a positive start to the day. Nice one neighbour. Morning to you too. I would imagine he was talking about the weather, though he could quite possibly be talking about his life. It's hard to know. He's a peculiar man. Single at 60, loves his motorbikes and liberally uses the word 'wankers' in conversation. A vision of the future maybe if I don't settle down?

Who knows, I just know I'd rather not be injected with ultra gloominess 1st thing in the morning, I do well enough on my own without help from others on that score thank you very much. I replied, 'don't worry only another 4 months of it', smiled and went back indoors. What a cracking start to the day.

Exercise is important to me and my mental health. Obviously I like the physical benefits. I like to look pretty good. The incredibly vain sod in me demands it. But it is important for my mind too. If I'm exercising then it seems to keep the beast within sated. Coupled with a daily programme of recovery and I've got half a chance.

Goal setting helps me to keep motivated too. If i have a marathon, triathlon or something to look forward to then it gets my ass out the door even when it's raining or dark. It makes me feel better. I guess we've all got to find something that works for us right?

Food & Nutrition is also important. Probably more so than exercise. This is an area which is a constant struggle & I'm dreadful at. I have a massively sweet tooth. I love eating shit. Cakes, chocs, burgers, kebabs, ice cream. I'd go through the card and pile it in. I know deep down I've probably got an eating disorder and a healthy dose of body dis morphia. Ever increasing in males (secretly) apparently but I'm not going to get too down on that as it's mostly manageable. Plus of course it's bad for my macho 'Bond' image. Not that I've got one of course, well other than in my own head.

If I get on a healthy roll then eating well is easy. I have a ridiculously bland diet. I only eat certain foods, basically because I'm single, live alone, am a Man and totally lazy. I rarely cook and my diet at home is shocking. It mostly revolves around tins of tuna (with added salad cream) buttered meat and silk cut. Dreadful. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that on Masterchef.

"What are you going to cook for us today Nick?"
"Well Greg, first I'm going to open the tuna. It has to be Waitrose in Olive Oil. Then I'm going to splat a great big dollop of salad cream on it, again Waitrose own, Heinz is shit and serve it rather rustically in the tin"
"Is that it?"
"God No Greg. Then I'm going to get some Chicken and butter it, serve it on a plate and follow it up with a couple of silk cuts and heavily sweetened tea"
"Please leave the studio now"
END

The only greens I get regularly is the Tuna tin which is green. Does that count? Oh and apples and grapes. Loads of apples and grapes.

I'm not the best advert for a balanced diet but there it is. I get in trouble when I get on an unhealthy roll and the sweet tooth comes out. Fuck me I'm dangerous then and I crave sugar for days. However I have recently found Chromium and Chlorophyll supplements which helps to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce cravings. So I'm mostly OK these days. I manage it accordingly.

At heart I'm a reluctant exerciser. I'll procrastinate for ages in my head. Putting off going for a run until I drive myself bonkers and finally get out. Then when I'm out running my mind will constantly play tricks on me. Negative head will be encouraging me to cut it short or focus on a pain in my body. Anything to fuck me up. That sodding head is a nightmare sometimes.

I suppose that's why I've done so many marathons and Ironman triathlons. To prove my head wrong. To convince myself it doesn't tell the truth. I had convinced myself I couldn't run 26.2miles or indeed swim 3miles, cycle 112 and then run a marathon (Ironman distance triathlon) But of course i could and did. The secret is taking that into other areas of my life.

Finally i have just had my 3rd article published on a new health website. It's an account of running the London Marathon earlier this year. It's a study of my thinking and the actual race. Re-reading it the other day I found it pretty moving but also entertaining. I laughed out loud twice at my own writing. Pretty sad or impressive depending which way you view it.

Here is the link. I have to be honest and say if people read it, comment on it, press 'like' on it then i get paid. I'm pretty confident it stands up as a decent article without having to beg you to read it so i can get paid (a little) But if you could I would be humbly grateful.

http://www.dontmindlife.com/?p=1401

Keep chugging readers and can't wait to hear what pearls of positivity my neighbour comes out with tomorrow

xx







No comments:

Post a Comment