Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 307 - Sat 17th Nov - Mammy's birthday

Today is all about me Mammy (that's what the Welsh say). It's her birthday see. I hope she doesn't mind me saying but she's clickety click. (66) Born on 17th November 1946. Post war in Llanelli, South Wales.

It's not really for me to talk about her on my blog publicly. But what I will say is that she really is an outstanding Mammy and human being. Kind hearted, caring, loving and always 'up', positive and there for people. She's proper ace and everyone who meets her says so. A truly wonderful person. (That's the good Christmas present bagged I hope.)

She is such a caring person, here's an example of what the old school Mother's do. Always thinking of others. We had a family lunch booked and i turned up with presents, balloons etc and she gave me a pair of Calvin Klein socks she'd bought in Fenwicks. Classic. She won't even give herself a day off from caring for others on her birthday! Old school.

She's definately in the same mould as my Nan. Small, diminutive, emotionally strong Welsh matriarch with a heart of gold and always thinking of her family. She's really the glue who holds everyone together.

I looked up some facts about her birthday and 1946. King George V was the Monarch,  Prime Minister was Clement Atleee, average house price was £500 and 'It's a Wonderful Life' was made. It was mandatory for gentlemen to sport a magnificent moustache and hat combo.

Other people who share a birth year or day with her include; Danny Devito, Martin Scorcese, Dean Martin, Rock Hudson, Joanna Lumley, George Best, Barry Gibb, Marianne Faithfull, Peter Sutclife and Harold Shipman.

A pretty eclectic line up, she shares the same age as world class footballers, actors, musicians and the UK's most notorious serial killers. Nice. Still, she's looking better than Barry Gibb so something's working.

 
Me Mammy and Neice

She's looking good and if there is a point to today's blog it is that people look younger these days. She doesn't look 66. Probably 8-10 years younger (That's an uber good Xmas present secured)  but if i think back to when I was a kid I would visit Aunties and Uncles in their 50's and 60's and they would look old. Dressed head to toe in beige or grey. Like an old person's uniform.

Now people into their 70's, even 80's are dressing younger and looking better. She certainly falls into that category. As long as people don't fall into the Jackie Stallone trap they'll be OK. There are limits after all.

The population is getting older, people are living longer. They say 60's the new 50 and 50's the new 40 etc. But i see people of my Mum's generation with more vim and vigour than teenagers. If i compare a 16 year old to her I think she has more life. energy and zest. Maybe it's the generation they were brought up, with rationing and simple pleasures. Maybe they appreciate life more? Who knows. But what I do know is that despite many tough moments and experiences she is well up for life and that is hugely impressive.

I know I'm probably biased and I went through a time when i was a teenager or in my early 20's of wanting your mum to stop being a mum and being almost embarrassed. That's normal. But as you get older you appreciate the things they have done for you.

Stroking your hair when you're a kid and about to go to the dentist. Packing you some food when you leave to go back to University. Sending you newspaper articles about 'how to stop smoking' or anything else symbolic to your life. Always concerned, worrying and looking out for you. I knew i was in trouble when she sent me a review of 'Shame', a film about a sex addcit. Thanks Mum.

I'm fortunate, although I never really had a father. Some people don't have good relationships with their mother. Some mothers of friends I know are horrid. Jealous, competitive, resentful of their children. I can't understand that but they do exist. Some people have horrible childhoods and their parents don't give a shit about them. That's grim and I guess they will meet their maker eventually. Not everyone is a good human i suppose.

I'm fortunate in having a mother who is so lovely and caring. So much so that I'm thinking of setting up a business for her as 'dial-a-mum.com'. She seems to get on really well with a number of my ex's, they ring her up for a bit of advice or encouragement or wise words. This is brilliant and can be rolled out country wide.

Are you Mumless? Is your mother a Witch? Are you Suffering with a problem? Need some support? Then dial rent-a-mum for some paternal love. Only £24.99 for 10 calls or £49.99 per month for unlimited calls. It's a winner. Just need to persuade her now.

It's a special day for a special woman whom I love very much and if i don't get an amazing Christmas present after that, there will be ructions

Happy birthday Mammy and all the Mammies of the world, apart from the horrid ones. You can just sort it out and tell your children you love them.

xx


2 comments:

  1. Lovely Nick...I too have an amazing Ma. She's 86 in December...I have given up half my life in the last six years to be her patient advocate and get the best possible NHS etc attendance for her. She's still independent but with lots of help and visits from me since my Father died. I nearly went ballistic when a 'sponsor' said to me last year that I had a co-dependent relationship with my Mother!! Bollocks! My Mother is Spanish...we look after our elderly with respect and dignity, expecially when they have been incredible, nurturing Mothers, sacrificing much in hard times for their family. It warms my heart to read this Blog. And any women out there who may read this....A man who has love and respect for his Mother is worth his weight in gold. Believe me, I know, having experienced the opposite...twice!!!
    P.S. I'm glad to see that you have finally realised you are NOT middle aged...yet!
    Kick Ass Boots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...there was a comment! Why is it not up yet?? Lovely Mum Love...
    KA Boots

    ReplyDelete