Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 268 - Sun 7th October - Royal Parks Half Marathon

I experienced a new phenomenon today. No, it wasn't not being self obsessed, instead I watched friends running a half marathon. It's the 1st time I've gone to watch someone instead of participating. It was an odd feeling.

I am more of a doer than watcher, having completed several marathons, triathlons, half marathons, ironman's in the past few years. Sometimes on my own, sometimes with other people. But there has always been someone i love either family or friends who have come to watch & support. It's humbling.

The London marathon is always so special because the incredible crowd support. It's unstinting, the generosity of human spirit overwhelming. I'm a selfish bastard and in total need of constant affirmation and attention, so I'm in my element. 4 hours of people clapping, shouting my name, praising me. Christ if only life could be like that.

So now maybe you understand why i tend to run these events but today was different & this is going to shock you. Today wasn't about me, it was my job to become one of those unstinting supporters.

Some friends who are not runners ran the race. 13.1miles. An official half marathon around the beautiful sites of London in the Royal Park Half Marathon.

It was jam packed with thousands of runners. The sun shone and it was the most perfectly crisp autumnal morning. It was a beautiful sight.



Eventually i took my place on mile 12 to support them and witnessed the thousands of pained runners. When you run you are grateful for the support although shouts of 'keep it going' and 'don't stop' you find a little irritating after a while. You wonder why people shout it out. Now i know.

I found myself picking up on people who had written their names on their vests and shouting 'Come on (Insert name) Keep it going' and 'don't stop'. I realised there is a limited amount of encouraging words you can shout so settled upon the two classics.

It was humbling to see so many people who probably don't normally run doing it. A sea of faces mostly grimacing in a collection of Lycra. It made me feel for them and very proud to be a fellow human being. These people were getting up off their arse to do something and i was right there alongside them, smoking cigarettes shouting encouragement.

It made me chuckle the ones who were quite out of shape putting in a massive MO Farah sprint at the end. Trundling around for 3 hours and then sprinting at the end. But why not, that's their little moment of glory and it made me chuckle. There were some people limping, some people running smoothly and some people hobbling. The point is they were all doing it together. The pack mentality. One common goal. To finish.

I used to be quite critical and snobby about half marathons. 'Well it's not a full one is it' was my standard response. I gave the people running it little respect. But i got it wrong. Yes some people go way over the top, taping countless energy drinks & gels around their waist, drinks with tubes in their hats or back packs, bananas, ipods, compression socks, headbands on them as if they are running to the desert and back. But 13 miles is still a long way, particularly to people who don't really run. To them it is a marathon and it deserves the same respect. Watching it changed my opinion. I am now a convert.

My Friends made it. They ran their own race, looking comfortable and finished easily with no problems, no blisters and i could see that inner glow that comes with doing an event. You get your medal and you feel a sense of pride and achievement inside. The finishing village is packed full family and friends greeting runners & i figure if you do it on your own with no-one to support you could feel a little lonely and 'nobody loves me'. But i saw the pride in my friends eyes and that is primarily the reason for doing it. It's fab. Heartwarming.

Plus of course and more importantly it was 1pm and they had the whole day of guilt Free eating and doing sod all ahead of them as they had just ran loads. Sunday Papers, Roast dinner, maltesers, sofa. bliss!

Me? I went for a power run around Richmond Park and by the river, listening to the Verve and feeling quite good. Obviously i got annoyed by the Sunday afternoon strollers and was struck by how utterly middle class Richmond and Petersham was. Even the prams were made of corduroy. Incredible.

For the rest of the day I caught up on my blog, glanced at the Sunday papers, watched a movie, ate a whole roast chicken and basically loafed around indoors on my sofa. Now that is something i appear to be world class at.

Well done to all the runners today, kind of makes me want to do a race. Dubai marathon in January anyone?

xx





1 comment:

  1. Good for you for cheering on your friends. I know what's it like to cross that finish line and have no one there to greet you. It sucks, it really does. You finish, you gulp down a bagel, and then you go home. Not that I wanted a pat on the back but I did want someone to validate my effort.

    A marathon in Dubai. Sounds like a wonderful experience. I hope you go so I can live through you vicariously. (:

    ReplyDelete