Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 265 - Thurs 4th October - My comedy night and You the Reader

Comedy Chops

It's 3am (Fri morning) - i can't sleep after being charged up over my comedy night tonight (www.Facebook.com/comedychops). I was so stressed, drank so much diet coke & smoked so many cigarettes that i think I'll be up until Tuesday.

It's not good as i have my one day a week at work tomorrow. Up in 4 hours, oh god I'm useless on 4 hours kip. Reckon i can pull a sicky? Bit poor that though on one day a week. Not even I'm that much of a slacker. Nice thought though.

The Comedy club went well though i found it rather alot today. I have been running it monthly for 18 months and it's only now I'm beginning to get into it. I MC, organise, book the acts, promote it and today i had to set up the room and sort out the PA. Oh yes, and then 5 Min's to 9 i have to try and decide what I'm going to say. Stressful.

Had a decent crowd in tonight, some fantastic acts and some genuinely insane audience members. It was ACE. I enjoyed it and after 30 Min's i think found my 'voice' on stage. Be normal, be me and don't try too hard, it felt comfortable and i like it. Maybe with lots of practice and hard work i can do it. Just hard work and practice puts me off!

Two superb acts to look out for. www.matthewpricecomedian.co.uk - did a genius routine about serial killers and broad moor and http://chrispjturner.wordpress.com/ - Chris is a genius improv rapper and he rocks.

The crowd were great and we had an angry Scotsman heckler on the right of the room, a drunk smiley kiwi  on the front row who kept shouting 'cock' and then a random drunk who wandered in from a funeral at the back who at regular intervals sang 'always look on the bright side of life'. It was like a pissed Bermuda triangle of hecklers. Superb.

Very enjoyable Comedy night.

YOU

Yes you. The reader. You reading this now. I love you. This is to you. 43 of you on average read this daily ramble. Obviously my ego wants 43,000, but I'm happy with you. You are taking time out of your day to read this. That pleases me. Why? Well i guess you build up a sense of familiar in a daily blog rather like a soap opera. I'm lucky to have you, don't think i don't appreciate you. If you're very special and keep reading I'll take you out for a Harvester and spoil you. No cheap carvery mind a full steak with all the trimmings.

There are so many blogs. Most i see are either bollocks or brilliant (they link to all kinds of stuff, comment on topical issues and act as social commentators with huge followings and no doubt money earned. This is not one of them. This is me writing on what i feel, think and experience from my perspective. Some of it is drivel, some of it boring, some of it self obsessed, some of it funny and occasionally very funny and sharp. I like it. I have been doing it every day for a year and it has provoked some very interesting comments and responses. Some good some not so - doesn't matter i can't be every ones cup of tea and i guess if people don't like it they can always read 'Heat' or something other than this.

Bottom line is we are bombarded with information and things to read or do. Spam, emails, texts, facebook, blogs, news. It's information overload. My blog is unique i suppose. It's not ground breaking but as i promised on day 1 it's honest and above all else true to myself. i don't make myself out to be a saint, a do gooder or something I'm not.

I know i have a good heart, those who have read all year will know so far this year i have helped a friend with a serious relapse, been there for my family through a tough time with the illness and death of my Nan, helped a family member with a serious mental illness and continued to attend and do service in a fellowship i attend which helps me stay sober. Self obsessed? Selfish? I know the truth inside and i feel OK with how i am. (Fuck me that sounded like a job interview there didn't it?)

I'm glad you're sticking with the blog. Some have been through it every day with me. You are the hardcore. You are heroic to me. Think of yourself where you were in your life when you started reading this. Has it got better? have you changed? Are you happy? It's a personal journey for all of us but we share one common purpose. We are all humans. We are all fragile. We all feel sad, happy, needy, lost, loved. We are all in this thing called life together.

There is something about committing pen to paper or finger to keyboard and writing your thoughts that are long term liberating. A bit like freeing your cock from tight underwear ( i put that cock reference in on purpose due to the comment of previous days ago that i needlessly make constant reference to my cock so it's part of my annoying nature to stir things up and zone in on the one thing i know annoys someone. What a sad pathetic man i am, but it will give me amusement for around 2 minutes then i will regret doing it and try to go and delete or edit but then the damage is done, it has been read and i will then feel a dick, but still smile to myself.)

Here is a comment made the other day about this blog and i like it;


"Gosh, I just started reading your blog and was drawn to it BECAUSE of the things your reader criticized. I can read mind numbing blogs about volunteering or saving the whales but I don't. Why? Because they are boring and full of self-importance.

Don't change your blog because of one critical response. From the look of it, I'd say that post was written by someone you know. Probably a woman. I wonder why she hasn't said it to your face? Or maybe she has and you just didn't notice. Whatever, carry on and wank whenever the need comes up. (:"


Fair enough. I liked the previous comment the other day as not all should blow smoke up my arse and it's good to have full rounded opinions. Also i am human and it requires lots of effort to write every day and it's hard to continually come up with topics so to have some encouragement and pat on the back is nice. We all like to have a bit of appreciation now and again.

So i appreciate you Mr or Mrs Reader. I really do and tonight i feel just ever so slightly humbled that my writing provokes a response. I don't mind saying it makes me rather emotional. Particularly as i have received some incredible comments over a piece i wrote about the death of my father for a website www.dontmindlife.com . I only started out this daily blog as a training diary for my marathon in April and now it's become as much a part of my life as brushing my teeth. It's me though maybe i should rename it 'Carry On Wanking'

Big love to you all

Me
xx



8 comments:

  1. Hey Nick, I don't read everyday but when I do, I really enjoy it and it makes me chuckle. Keep it up - the writing not your cock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. i will and thanks for reading x

      Delete
  2. Wow. You took me through quite the range of emotions with this post. You had me laughing with this part -

    'The crowd were great and we had an angry Scotsman heckler on the right of the room, a drunk smiley kiwi on the front row who kept shouting 'cock' and then a random drunk who wandered in from a funeral at the back who at regular intervals sang 'always look on the bright side of life'. It was like a pissed Bermuda triangle of hecklers. Superb.'

    You described the scene perfectly. I could imagine just such an audience.

    Then you became humble and sentimental. I teared up slightly as I was reading. This part is especially true -

    'It's a personal journey for all of us but we share one common purpose. We are all humans. We are all fragile. We all feel sad, happy, needy, lost, loved. We are all in this thing called life together.'

    I'm not blowing smoke up your ass(or arse as you Brits would say). If you write shit I'll tell you it's shit. I simply enjoy your enthusiasm and your joie de vivre. You know, in writing this, I've figured out why your writing touches me. I don't know your history other than the fact you are in recovery and have 10 years sobriety. What jumps out at me is it's obvious the promises are being fulfilled in your life. You are a miracle! How cool is that? And I get to sit here in Florida and read about it. In some small way, I get to be a part of it. (:

    Oh, as long as we're talking about wanking and recovery, that's the only thing that kept me sober for the first year. I kid you not. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fact you read this in Florida!! Superb xxx

      Delete
  3. Wanky wanky wank wank wank - love you xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you wash your hands after wanking. I wouldn't want to shake hands with you at a meeting. Do you do it every day? Every time I sit behind you at a meeting I'm thinking....did he have a toss this morning. Yuk.......I enjoy your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clean my hands every day and here's a little secret. i don't actually wank often. This cock talk has got way out of control!!

      Delete