Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Day 120 - Monday 30th April - Oh god it's Monday

Today really was 'Blue Monday'. Woke up to Apocalypse rain. Horizontal. Grey skies, grey faces on the train into the City. People huddled under insufficient umbrellas, grimacing through the rain like it was mile 23 of the marathon. Either that or everyone had dropped an E at Mortlake. That really would make the pain of Monday morning ease away.

Best thing about the commute was in saying hello to the two old lady Jehovah Witnesses that stand outside Barnes station every morning holding up Jesus magazines for people to largely ignore and walk past. Even big Issue sellers and Chuggers get more attention.

But in saying hello as i do every day, i overheard them talking about how they were looking forward to having Lamb Chops for tea that night. In the high powered world of commerce and commuting, where the Kindle is King, that was my favourite moment. It made me smile and had a certain earthy charm.

Lamb chops always makes me think of my Nan, as she relished a nice Chop and she said it in such a lovely Welsh way. Good start to the day. Made me smile

I then proceeded to spend the next 8 hours putting off loads of things i have to do and avoiding actually doing anything meaningful or constructive. I made a list and then just like the Jehovah's witnesses, largely ignored it. Concentrating more on aimlessly walking around the office, drinking tea, nipping out for cigarettes and getting frustrated with myself. I just couldn't get going today at all. I was effectively Wolverhampton Wanderers. The stationary would have to wait.

There were a couple of things that made me chuckle though. One was a story in the Standard about Enfield Council coming up with 50 rules for their Parks in the borough over the summer, which included, no flying kites, no cycling, no swimming, no climbing trees, no playing on the grass, no roller skating in an 'annoying or dangerous way' and most enigmatically, No camping in the park - basically no having any fun you fucking bastards.

Made me think of couple of things;

1 - Kids not allowed to climb trees? There really is no need for that rule, kids are too lazy to climb a tree now. Those fat little fuckers are too busy eating Twix's and playing on the DS to even bother to climb the stairs let alone a tree. Wasted Park rule

2 - No roller skating in an 'annoying and dangerous way' - That just about rules everyone out then - Is there any other way to roller skate?

3 - No camping in the park - That's a Great British tradition out of the window. Where else are people like me going to go and loll about in the long grass in red speedos perving at all the girls? What a disgrace.

What on earth next?  ban cottaging and dogging?. Disgrace.

That was it really folks. Dull day. After a good 90 minutes of changing my mind what to do this evening, meeting? 6.15pm or 8pm? Gym before or after? No gym. Rest, DVD, good job I'm not indecisive, i Knocked out a 40 min cross training session in the gym, getting bang in to my pull ups (not offs) and natural body weight lifting.

Oh god I've swapped marathon bore for Bicep bore. Clearly i need a deeper spiritual connection. May have a chat with the Jehovah witnesses tomorrow. Not for a spiritual awakening i hasten to add. I maybe able to blag a nice Chop dinner.

xx



No comments:

Post a Comment