Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 42 - Sunday 12th February

Mileage - Back to Nil

Today should all be about the Long one. Freezing cold but clear and crisp. The ideal morning to run long. But the only long one I'll be handling today is.......well you know what. The leg is back to where i was 3 weeks ago. Painful and swollen. No training for me today.

Woke to the news that Whitney Houston died last night. 48 years old. In the bath in a hotel suite. Years of heavy drug and alcohol abuse. Clearly the disease of addiction claims another life. It was all over the news, TV, radio. Interviews with so many music figures and rent a celebs giving their opinion. Made me reconfirm why doing the marathon for an addiction charity is right - even if it raises profile by 1 person, it;s worth it. As long as they sponsor me for a few grand.

Not one mentioned the word 'addiction'. 'disease' or 'recovery'. All talked how sad and tragic it was. And yes of course it is undoubtedly. It made me think how much this country sweeps addiction under the carpet. How little is known, how much ignorance there is about it. If she died from another disease there would have been awareness and publicity about that illness. Instead addiction claims another life and still it is ignored. Jesus what more evidence people want?

But she was famous and a celebrity and had access to any excess she wanted Nick. Surely 'thats showbiz'? Well with respect. Bollocks. 500 people die every day from addiction/alcoholism. Nearly all of them are nomads, unknowns. Slowly declining into the disease until they are alone as no-one can handle an out and out addict in the end. Ill and in most cases, dead. Family mortified, leaving a trail of destruction and broken heartedness and chaos in it's wake. Yes addiction is a voracious predator.

That's the slow decline and grisly end. Most feel it is so sad as they see it as so unnecessary. So needless. She had everything, money, fame, power, talent. Well means fuck all when you're in the grips of life threatening illness. And if the sufferer denies it's existence, scarily most in society also 'don't get it'. What chance to the rest have?

I've seen it in my own family. slow descent, chaos all round and then my old man effectively 'stopped living' for the final 25 years of his life. Ceasing to be part of life. Living to drink and drinking to die.

I don't know how i feel about Whitney. I didn't know her, she's not family or friend. I didn't particularly care much for her music, though i did have my first blow job to 'i wanna dance with somebody'. Obviously i'm sad another life is claimed by addiction. Gives me a good reason to carry on with the www.actiononaddiction.co.uk charity for the marathon. Seems right for me.

One thing i would say though, Musicians with Drug problems clearly need to be careful in the bathroom. Jim Morrison died in the bath, Elvis on the toilet and Whitney in the shower. It's not drugs they should be banning. Clearly Bathrooms are way too dangerous.

Oh, and today? Me?

Osteo treatment early doors to batter the gristly injury. Hurt like hell but i liked it. Quick cycle and weights in Gym. Out of town for massive lunch and was introduced to Maverick Sabre (not personally but his music, wicked)

Injury a little better than before and plenty of ice, just in case I'm not cold enough outside!

Head not too bad today. Reconnected with the whole addiction thing and looking forward to a busy week, Valentines should be massive as I'm expecting loads of cards, working, comedy club this Thursday and will get to yoga and gym as much as possible.

Bikram has helped allot with my suppleness of muscles, so at least I'm doing something right these days.

One last thing, no-one is sponsoring me! Leave a comment or request if you want me to write on a subject or do stuff that will make you sponsor me. Let me know on Facebook or on this blog or itsevo@hotmail.com.

Leave a request and lets get my fundraising started!






Evo
xx

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with what you say about addiction, so many people think its a choice and no help should be given, do they really think someone would choose to drink to oblivion, losing friends, destroying their families? the world does need educating on this subject. Hope you get back to running soon, not long to London now, I've just joined the action on addiction team :)

    ReplyDelete