Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 4 - Thursday 5th January 2012

Length - 7 miles. Time - 59 Min's. Conditions - f**** early and windy

So this is reality then is it? Back to work. Awake at 5.30am, pitch dark and ultra windy outside and out the door by 6am for the usual 7mile loop. Not before my pre training nutrition of 2 cups of strong PG Tips and 2 silk cut. (God anyone reading this looking for training tips will be sorely disappointed/alarmed)

First time in years i have actually done any exercise so early in years. Natural inclination when up this early is to have a cuppa and then retire back to bed. It's only me, the milkman and Adrian Chiles up this early. Forced myself to strap on the trainers, running legins, under armour, over armour, everywhere armour or whatever it's called, hat, gloves and headed off into what looked suspiciously like the night.

First 10 Min's was spent staggering like a scene from Awakenings, second ten minutes spent waking up and thinking, wow it's mild, third ten minutes amazed that another 5 people were out running, forced myself to say good morning to all of them, so i can kick start myself into a mood of cheerfulness.

Blank faces and cold shoulders came back at me, it just made me miserable and angry, bloody bastards! Where was the camaraderie? The mutual nod of respect between runners churning out the miles at 6am? The mutual look of 'what the f*** are we doing?' - Instead it was the London glare. That dead eye stare that is almost natural to anyone living in London. Like a state of deadness but alive. Going through the motions. Existing, not living. Anyone living here will know.

The fourth 10 minutes was spent feeling rather smug and pleased with myself for getting up so early and actually doing it and the fifth ten minutes was spent trying not to be sick and collapse on the pavement for an immediate sleep. Knew i shouldn't have smoked and drunk tea on an empty stomach before running. Div.

Finished in 59 minutes, which was a full 5 minutes slower than yesterday, but no matter. Lesson learnt, eat a little before running, especially if going out ultra early.

It was then home, eat omelet, wash, suit on, get to tube and commute to city for first day of 2012 working wise. In office by 9.15am and thought wow, that's superb. You should be rewarded with a day off. Not a great start to the working year. Clearly i could use a little of my running commitment to rub off on my professional attitude. Improvements to be made!

I thought i should touch on why i like marathons. I am not sure i explained. Just quickly, as i have met a number of people who are doing their first one this year, which i think is superb. Anything that focuses the mind, makes you work towards a goal and gets you into habit of training is good. Of course London is the best as the crowd is so wonderful and massive, money is raised for good causes and the day is very emotional.

But what is it about the marathon? 26.2miles. Sounds allot but not that far that it's out of reach for most people. Ironman triathlons - now that is lunacy, Marathon Desable - total insanity and ultra runners are particularly mental.

But there is something mythical about the marathon. It is a distance that tests you physically, mentally and emotionally. There is pain involved. You're head will go through so many emotions including "Quit" and "Why are you doing this to yourself" along with massive adrenaline, euphoria and self esteem and satisfaction.

You go through all these stages at certain points in the marathon and of course the training period whether it be 3,5 or 9 months is a journey. You have to do the miles. You have to put the work in and you cannot scrimp otherwise come Marathon day you turn into one of those people on the end stretch unable to walk and being helped across the line with bleeding nipples and the look of sheer torture and pain, it's not a good look on the tellie.

I personally love pain. I mean don't get me wrong i hate it and run like f** from any emotional pain or difficulty, I'm also not a fan of being hurt in anyway - so how can i love pain? Well it;s the endurance sport pain i like. I love my body proving my head wrong. It's almost then a kind of physical fact my body can tell my head, "see, you were wrong. You said we couldn't do it, we can. You said stop, we didn't need to. So f** you head. I'm the body and I'm showing you what we can do with this Barry Gibb look a like."

That is effectively the pain and pleasure of endurance sports. It;s long, lonely, sometimes boring, but i think people that are into them are slightly odd. But in essence it is a formula that can help work your mind out. Clear away any negative thoughts. give you clarity and space to think, whether it be things you need to do for work or life, or to help with the creative flow.

For instance, this morning whilst running i thought of everything i need to do at work today. I thought of an idea for a book to write, an Edinburgh show to perform and a couple of stand up comedy routines. I won the argument with the stupid spiritual yogis in bikram yoga yesterday who got arsey when i moved their precious Matt 5 inches

The fact i couldn't actually remember any of it when i got home and consequently did nothing about it is immaterial - that is clearly the next challenge!

Until tomorrow fellow people

Nicholas Edward Evans

4 comments:

  1. There is NO camaraderie at 6am!!!

    PS. Bleeding nipples? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely nuts and thats why I love you xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Nick, I am knd of getting inspired to maybe start running myself, a dreadful idea I have always dispised it. Will keep on reading and see if I get inspired more, for sure I'd be one of those assisted at the end in considerable pain, and with bleeding nipples, what a horrible thought.
    Nick keep me inspired
    Run Fat Boy Run

    ReplyDelete