Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 2 - Tuesday 3rd January 2012

The 2nd day commences of my new year and training plan. (3rd day of the year but 1st Jan was spent flying back from Dubai). Yesterday (Monday) was a good day. I wrote the blog and had some very interesting feedback from people who read it. It made me realise, 'oh fuck' now i have to really do something about this'. Such as continue to do it! I also realise that i am going to have to facilitate the change, Join a club, train differently, change diet and try to alter my habits and head in order to achieve what i want. To say i am reluctant is an understatement. Still the fact you are reading this and in some cases identifying is good motivation enough for me.

I must be careful not to be too self critical and self obsessed though, the bottom line is that i have done much running and marathons etc in the past, but inside i never felt like I've done it properly or given myself the best chance as I've done it solo without following any advice. Like putting up an Ikea wardrobe without the instructions. It looks OK, it stands up, it fits in the room and everyone says well done. However it's only when you look closer and realise you have fitted the doors to open inside ways, meaning you cannot actually put anything inside the wardrobe as to doors wouldn't be able to open - It's that kind of feeling, i think you get my drift.

I have just 'got by' and 'done enough', more of a sense of relief than achievement, very much like my Comedy Club. Maybe this journey is an exploration of that. mmm not too self obsessed there was i?

Anyway yesterday was my 1st run of 2012, too cold for this little Dubai pussy, so i headed for the gym, weaved my way through the reams of fatty new joiners acting out their short lived New Years Resolution to get fit, and installed myself on the treadmill and churned out 10 miles in 1 hour and 25mins. Sweating like David Cameron at an EU summit, but feeling pretty good and concentrating hard. A decent start to training. I felt good afterwards and went to Bikram Yoga for a stretch but unfortunately got into an argument with a silly woman in the studio and was asked to leave the class. Another bloody studio i am banned from now. I think a man who is barred from yoga studios has anger issues, anyway that's for another day.

Day 2 (today) I woke at 5am,( pesky jet lag), which was rather fortunate seeing as I'm training someone in Hyde Park at 6am. Yuk.

Quick look outside and it was windy, dark, raining and generally like the apocalypse. My thoughts immediately turned to cancelling and going back to bed. Also the reality of life after the week long holiday glow and zest kicked in and i saw a glimpse of the 'old' me, very bad head and depressed at life type syndrome. Ah pleased that new me lasted a whole 24hours!

Never mind, i pressed on and out i went. Trained the lady in Hyde Park in terrible weather and really enjoyed being out in it. Most of the time it''s the thought of something rather than the actual event itself that's the worst. It was interesting listening to someone Else's problems, concerns and then coming up with a 12 week plan to sort them out and help them on the road to mental and physical well being. Why is it so much easier to sort other people's lives out rather than my own?!!

Back home by 7.15am and then wrap up in 23 layers and out i went for my 1st run outdoors in 2012. I did 56minutes, 7 mile run around Wimbledon and Putney. Again felt good and took it easy but was in a nice rhythm. My mind wandered to work, must do lists and worries over finance etc. But i soon blocked that out and just concentrated on breathing and running. It was nice to switch off and just run, a real pleasure, almost like a form of meditation.

So that is Day 2 folks, I'm not worried about time, distance etc at this stage. I will join Wimbledon Windmillers club and do track sessions on Saturday, long runs on Sunday and do my own Richmond Hill training which is brutal but i have a plan, it's a question of sticking to it now and weaving it into my everyday life. If i do it i will totally surprise myself but it will be fun and interesting trying.

Enjoy your day

Nicholas Edward Evans, 10.15am, Tuesday 3rd January

5 comments:

  1. Funny :-) I am going to enjoy reading this and following your journey. At 31 weeks pregnant, sadly I won't be joining you but I admire your determination and perseverance. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up I say whilst sunning myself in Dubai! However will be back soon also trying to get positive thoughts of well being going. In the meantime I will just read yours! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of you running whilst meditating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Good. This all sounds very familiar

    My first attempt to do a proper Marathon plan was a 15 week plan which I stuck to religiously for 14 then ( for some reason, best known to myself) went on an absolute bender the week before ??? absolute insanity, but strangely, it seems this is not uncommon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Fat Boy Run.

    Love the blog, very inspiring, and loved the fact that you got kicked out of your yoga class, very funy. xxx

    ReplyDelete