Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 18 - Thursday 19th January

Miles - 8; Time 1 hour 11 mins; conditions - mild and dry thank god; Weekly mileage - 22 miles

As i sit and write this at 1.20am after doing my monthly Comedy Club tonight (www.comedychops.co.uk) i'm knackered, done in but content. There is no doubt that tonight my daily blog and commitment to the training and writing process enabled me to be far more fearless and try out new material. I have spent a whole year not writing, not performing jokes primarily due to fear and sloth - and tonight for the first time i actually delivered some material i had written, and whilst some of it was not great, some i buggered up, some was funny and well worth doing. It made me feel much better inside.

So, from this process it has undoubtedly helped my comedy and made me try things out. I never banked on that when i started.

It was a hard day as i couldnt sleep last night until nearly 2am and then i had to get up at 5am to train someone in Hyde Park. Driving rain and wind made it deeply unpleasant in the pitch dark early morning, but after 20 minutes started to get a sick buzz from the elements. Odd.

Luckily i wasn't in the office, so went back home after, did some work, wrote my comedy homework (a piece about what you are most sensitive about - mine was having man tits when i was younger and fatter), put off running as i was so tired, plus my achilles and hip hurt still.

Finally i went out at 10am when it finally stopped raining and did same route as last night. The feel was diffrerent in the day but it was a treat to get to Parliament Square and see Big Ben in full glory.

The run was very slow. In fact i had mobility scooters beeping at me. Man my body hurt, the hip and achilles really restrictive. Oh god have i done the ultimate stupid thing of doing too much too quickly?

Strangely when i started to focus on comedy jokes the pain went and i started to move better. This was after 40 minutes. The last 30 were ok, and i ground out an 8 mile run to take me above the 20 mile point for the week. Injury permitting i will try to do another 8 miler tomorrow which will leave me 20 miles to do over the weekend to hit the 50 mile mark.

I feel a few days of rest coming on though, as the achilles feels a little wonky, which i know can turn into full blown tendinitis. so i must be careful, as that is weeks out injured. I would not be a happy bunny.

Rest of day was spent doing odd jobs and i fell asleep at 5pm as i was totally exhausted. 3 hours kip is just not on. I missed the full preperation for my comedy night and as ever was nervous, full of self doubt and underprepared. i wrote material and new jokes and placed on a clipboard.

Then i did it, i perfromed the material and some other gags i'd written and they got laughs. It felt good and productive and again, it made me feel more confident and content as i was at least 'doing something', not living in fear and avoidance.

The night was great success, people seem to enjoy it, 50 were there, we had some great acts and selfishly i felt i had contributed and tried.

Thank you marathon training and marathon blog, you are really helping me.

PS - In at 12.30am and had 4 wispas, box of Rice Crispies, 3 donuts and packet of choc biscuits as a reward for doing so much.......mmm, I'm not sure i've seen that Nutrition plan posted on the London Marathon website. Unorthodox and silly, as the sugar hangover tomorrow will definately mean that resting and not running is high on my agenda. On one hand the lord giveth and on the other he taketh the Hob Knobs away. Thank god, i've had enough, but if pushed could squeeze a little more in my greedy gob. Time for bed instead.

Happy Friday fellow Jog Bloggers

Nicholas Edward

No comments:

Post a Comment