Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 14 - Sunday 15th January - The Long Un' Part Deux

Miles 14; Time - 1 hour 59 minutes; Conditions - Gorgeous; Weekly Mileage - 49 miles

I can't believe it's a full 2 weeks since i started this blog/journey. The end of the week and the Long One loomed. It had been on my mind all weekend, i planned to run 15 miles. I didn't want too. I tried to trick myself to get out of it. But it simply had to be done.

A brutal 6am start to train a client in Richmond Park, and man was it cold. That was finished by 7.30am and although i planned to run straight away, i was so cold i had to go to Bikram Yoga class to heat up and stretch. It was a good plan.

I like Bikram Yoga, really due to the heat and stretch on hamstrings and hips etc. (OK there's a few fit girls in Lycra too, but that's just a bonus) I've been doing it for nearly 4 years and it's a good balance and contrast to running.

I learnt 2 things in class this morning;

1 - There were a couple of large girls in their early days who clearly struggled. You have to allow for people just starting but they had about as much backbone and determination as Ed Milliband on Lithium. They couldn't do anything, gave up, sat down and really just gave up. I thought to myself 'that is how i feel mostly inside but there must be an inner pride and determination not to give in so easily, show a little fight (The Aussies call it 'ticker') and get stuck in. It actually helped me in my thoughts on the long run. I thought 'bring on the 15 miler now'. If I'm being honest a lot of younger girls these days seem to have that. I see it all the time in Yoga. Chubby, nonathletic, unsexy and basically lazy 20-30 year old's. Doesn't stop me eyeing them up though! And don't get me started on women not dressing as women anymore too. Jesus i sound like an old bastard.

2 - I chatted to a guy after, who apparently is a big spiritual guy. Into yoga, meditation etc. A Trader who is polluted with money. That's a laugh, a spiritual trader. How does that work? Anyway i took an instant dislike to him. I wish i wasn't so quick to judge, but i told him about my training and the book which seems to have influenced me (anyone read it yet) and all he did was do the old, 'one up manship'. He came back at me with a book about an Ultra Marathon runner and some quotes from a yoga master.

I thought, 'cunt'. An arrogant spiritualist. I know the type. Read and quote, in order to use spiritual and deep quotes on people. It;s a form of material spiritual arrogance and ego. Which in itself is not spiritual. I thought to myself, ''you know what is most spiritual of all? Time and listening. Listen to someone and engage, don't try to 'beat' in a conversation. And give people time. There is nothing more humble and spiritual than that. I know I'm not spiritual as i wanted to chin him. All in the yoga changing room i add. Fucking ego maniacs. Such a shame I'm one of them, sigh.


So armed with those deep resentments and insights, off i trotted home. Got my running stuff on, (3 layers, running leggins (it's the only time i can engage in my fetish for all things leggins without cross dressing - god i love women in leggins - that really is too much info Nick, gloves and headband to keep me warm) went out in bright sunshine on my long run part 2. I did the same route as the previous week, towpath, Craven Cottage, Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common. It was sunny, it was gorgeous and i felt pretty good. Obviously my head was focusing on how far it was and how i should just stop, cut it short and smoke - but on i kept.

My head was down, i didn't acknowledge people, i concentrated hard, on my breathing, step and rhythm. Certain parts were very slow but others i felt i was in the zone and felt much better than the past 2 days.

I finished 14 miles and decided that was enough in a shade under 2 hours. It felt good and rewarding. I was happy. Anything over 1 hour 30 mins is challenging, but I'm aware the real marathon training work comes in the mile 14-21 training. But that's for another day.

So that is the end of  week 2. 49 miles run. A busy week and another one to come. Slow middle but over 30 miles done this weekend, comedy course started, blog kept up, 5 jokes a day written and other writing too. I even cut down on adult related sites to fit everything in. It's made me feel so much better inside. I never realised in order to change you have to actually do something. Gutted!

I think i deserve a Roast today, not a 3's up kind of roast but a lunch. Although seeing as i have been so good all week, surely some Sunday depravity i deserve? No - on the straight and narrow, Roast Dinner, write and rest today.

Hope you've enjoyed the week readers, have a tip top Sunday. Make time for someone you love and listen to them even if it's for 5 minutes and lets try not to be like arrogant yoga man, just for today

Love and peas
Nicholas Edward

xx

1 comment: