Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 12 - Friday 13th January 2012 - Unlucky for some?

Miles 7; Time - 1 hour; Conditions - chilly; Weekly mileage 25 miles
Friday night. Friday the 13th, supposedly unlucky but not for me today. I actually had quite a perky day. Long sleep last night, woke late, into work, wrote 5 jokes on the train on the way, did a decent day's work and then home tonight for a run.

It's not a bad day when my biggest dilemma was, run in gym or brave the cold outdoors. Pussy or man up? Hardly front page news is it? I mean it's not on Sky, but boy did i deliberate over it for ages. David Cameron didn't spend that long deliberating over the Euro Treaty. Sometimes my head just cannot make a decision

Cinema or DVD? Run or Yoga? Meeting or coffee with pal? Stay in or Go out? The list is endless...make a frigging decision, Please! That's why in the old days i got pissed, it's easier. Wake up on a Saturday, thousands of things you can do in London. Gallery? Day trip? Shops? Theatre? Sites? Nah Pub -  you just drink loads, forget about everything and then make a total nuisance of yourself. Easy! Trouble is Sunday's were then spent waking up in a police cell. Nasty

Anyway, i digress, Decision? Man up and run outdoors. I realised i was a 2 time Ironman and a little cold is nothing. Out i went and the mind was buzzing and clear but the body was not. I chugged along slowly and completed my 7 miles in 1 hour. Felt good to be out and the crisp clear dark night was pretty invigorating.

I have 25 miles to run over the weekend to hit my magic 50 figure  for the week, so Saturday is 11 miles and Sunday the 'long one' 15 miles. Big miles but I'm determined to do it.

So this is the end of the working week, but 2 running days to go. I Feel fresher after day off and a good sleep. I Feel better in the head from actually sticking to a commitment of writing 5 jokes a day for a comedy course and with the running and this blog. I guess that's where inner peace and contentment come from. Sticking to something no matter what and seeing it through.

Several people reading the blog have said I'm very hard on myself, and i guess i am. They have also said they find it quite motivating, which is great. As i said in my intro, i have a head that tells me I'm no good, i can't do things and that there is no point in trying. It also rubbishes good achievements or minimizes things i have done. It prevents me from sticking with things  - In short, it's out to fuck me up. All i hope from this blog is that it shows anyone can actually do things you didn't think were possible. If i can, i truly believe anyone can. I really do.

So, just for today I'm OK, I'm peaceful. It;s Friday night and in the old days i would be itching to go out and get on it. Even over past few years i would be trying to organise some kind of twisted liaison. But now I'm pretty content being boring.

I've done my jokes, put in a shift, done my training, written Le Jog Blog and feel quite content. Granted at the back of my mind is the 25 miles over weekend, 3k tax bill i got, didn't expect and am shitting myself about, The fact i have to move soon, My comedy Club night on Thursday this week and the comedy course. But that's for tomorrow, just for now all is groovy.

I may even watch Graham Norton on BBC1 tonight and see a pal of mine interviewed who is making it big in movies, and look at him and think 'good on you', instead of 'bastard why can't i get that'. mmm, on second thoughts, I'm really not that well in the head yet, 'bastard, why can't i get that.' and now, who would be up for meeting late at night?,,,,,,,,,,,mmm

Have great weekend lovely people.

Nick Evans

1 comment: