Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 22 - Monday 23rd January

Day 22 - Monday 23rd January
Mileage - 0 - Injured!!!

Oh no, the dreaded injury has struck. Turns out the Achilles and left hip are bugger all, the real killer has been tendinitis in lower left shin, just above the ankle. Or another term repetitive strain injury, which is like describing my bloody head sometimes!

Very sore, build up of gristle and creaks when you touch it, a bit like an OAP's cock i suppose.

It means i cannot run for at least 4-5 days, maybe more depending on what physio says tomorrow. Ice, rest, yoga and cross train for this little berk. (cross training is to work different body parts in one training session, not go for a run dressed as a tranny)

I suppose it was inevitable. I have run nearly 210 miles since Christmas, my trainers are battered old and the inserts i have fitted are maybe past their sell by date. Added to the fact that when i run i flick my feet out before they land, so my legs are constantly trying to correct themselves.

It happened years ago in my 1st marathon, so i have booked myself in at Profeet - www.profeet.co.uk - to get new trainers and an MOT on the inserts. They are solid down there and will get me sorted. Hamish and the boys are most excellent and i can highly recommend

I'm not too disappointed as i have done tons of mileage. The rest will allow me to take stock, get my injury healed, get better equipment and then plan a smarter training programme up to marathon day. It will enable me to do more Bikram sessions too, so i can stretch.

It's almost like i wanted to break myself, to start again in a planned and programmed way. Self destructive streak anyone?

That's it really, i could go on for more sentences about injury prevention, do things properly, but that wouldn't be me really would it? I have to do things my way, usually the wrong way, cause myself pain, before taking on a new way - I'm sure my fellowship friends will identify with that process.

Yesterday's blog was a bit serious wasn't it? Jesus it was like an Eastenders Omnibus. So angry, preachy and serious.

It must be a touch of The Iydwel Isaac Evans in me, my grandfather who was a fire and brimstone Welsh preacher (and occasional cross dresser, rugby player and drinker). I love a good sermon now and again.

But guess what, that was yesterday. Everyone forgot about it. It wasn't on Sky News today and the world turns. I am over it today, no dramas - just a great written rant to let the pressure off.

So my goal this week? Rest, stretch, eat well, don't shout at anyone, don't tell anyone how to live their life, be useful and to lighten the fuck up! Oh yes, and write 5 gags a day, write comedy, be a marketing manager (supposedly), move house and train a lovely old woman. How do people ever have children? Big respect for you lot out there.

Stay groovy Bloggers
xx

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be as chilled out as this about injury (have picked up a knee prob). I just feel incredibly anxious & frustrated that I can't run. Am not as experienced a runner as you, I guess so I don't know how long to rest for (Physio appointment booked but not til Friday). I thought yesterday's entry was a real insight. It's quite odd for me as I can only really remember the "old" Nick.

    ReplyDelete