Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day 93 - A confession

Short blog entry today on the account I have very little to say.


I do have a confession to make though. After 41 years  of scotch eggs, football matches, 45kg bench presses, 3 point turns, driving with one arm hanging out of the window, pride, DIY (I made that up) and lightly skidded underpants, yesterday I did something I've never done before as a man.


I went into a home furnishings shop called Tiger and bought some Jasmine scented candles. I just had to get it off my chest. I can't live a lie. I felt nervous and awkward. All my masculinity was being questioned. I even picked up some place mats before quickly putting them down again. I don't know what's wrong with me!


Where's it going to end? Laura Ashley? Ikea? Doilies? I'm not going to lie boys, I'm worried but will keep you posted. I may have to go and saw some wood today to make up for it.


On other news, I've been enjoying the Oscar trial as his carefully crafted public image is slowly dismantled and his true narcissistic sociopath character emerges. It's a fascinating study in human behaviour and modern media image.


It's London Marathon weekend. I can't believe it's a year since I shat myself doing my last one (my largest read blog so far) I'm pretty sure Mo won't make the same mistakes I did. It was my 6th one and not only did I prepare like a rank amateur, eating lots of oats that I hadn't eaten in the build up, popping flu pills and pain killers for my bad back, but I genuinely thought I could do a personal best when I hadn't trained properly. Such is the insanity of my mind and boy did I pay for it.


It's a race and distance to be respected and I am really interested to see how Mo Farah gets on. He is an extra-ordinary athlete and it will add huge interest to the elite race. I'm looking forward to it.


Finally, I succeeded in doing something I haven't done in a while last night at my regular home meeting. I didn't share. I listened instead. A remarkable achievement for someone who loves the sound of his own voice. I usually have a form of sharing tourettes, which means I have to speak at every meeting. I find it helps to get the madness out of my head, but last night I settled back, listened and it felt pretty good. Weird.


AS those old timers told me with such glee. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason Nick. Shut it!!


We're all in it together


NE

1 comment: