Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Day 101 - Men who made a mark in the world

Firstly, what's going on for me;






I have a streaming man cold. Not an ordinary cold, a genetically mutated one, when combined with male chromosomes and DNA it becomes a Nazi super cold turning me into something akin to the Third Reich. Good job I'm not one to complain.






I'm having a terrible lack of sympathy from the world though, and I cant believe my girlfriend hasn't been round every night with an emergency pack. How dare she have her own life and responsibilities. Doesn't she know who I think I am?






Talking of which, I suddenly came to the realisation today that my entire life has been dedicated to the pursuit of total self seeking and absolution from any responsibility. Not something to beat myself up about today but seeing as I'm knocking on a bit at 41, perhaps it's about time I grew up?





The bad new is I feel a stirring inside (no its not what you think) that I'm changing. I'm not going to lie, my ego battles it but those of you with kids/families/responsibilities will no doubt be shaking their heads and thinking, 'you just wait Evans, you have no idea what's ahead of you'. We shall see, more will be revealed.






Due to the heavy cold I spent most of the day in self, thinking about what's wrong with me. This is guaranteed misery and I managed to wallow in it for 2 hours after getting back from work.






I had to drag myself to my meeting, it felt like my sofa was made of treacle. However within 90 mins sanity had been restored, I got out of my head, got some perspective and can breathe easier. I am now human again. Thanks AA. Nice one. Another example of my ego trying so desperately hard to make me unhappy and not do what is good for me. I get a daily bulletin of that.






Now to other news. I read the paper today and 2 stories jumped out at me.






Two people to commend;






1 - Stephen Sutton - A 19 year old, completed 36 tasks of 46 on his bucket list after being diagnosed with terminal cancer. His last one was to break £1million for the Teenage Cancer Trust. What a legend. His last message posted on his Facebook page yesterday was 'Cancer sucks, but life has been brilliant. That's it from me but life has been good, very good." Holy fuck what an amazing character. If I can get even a smidgen of that boys heart, life force, gratitude, humility, sense of adventure and spirit I'd be doing well. Makes me feel embarrassed and guilty to be so far up my own arse sometimes and gloomily ungrateful in the passage I wrote above. I commend you Stephen. What a man who has made his mark on the world. Inspirational;






You can donate here if you fancy - http://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Sutton-TCT/eurl.axd/f3b8e2b8d324834eb9813df16d168837


2 - Luke Cameron - A shop manager from Gloucester set up Raknominate as a daily diary in direct response to Neknominate. He despaired at the use of social media to promote binge drinking, so he set up the same nomination process but in doing Random acts of kindness. He set himself a task of doing a good deed every day this year, and then others have joined in and nominated others to do the same. It has taken off hugely.


He started it by buying a woman behind him in the queue at KFC a £16 meal (arguably that's cruelty). He said "We all need help sometimes and giving someone an extra hand to those people who need it is the aim of the diary. I started to good deed diary after going through a lot as a child with my own heart surgery and then having lost someone close to cancer. It's really nice to see it's catching on."


Good for him. What a great story. He is doing it for good reasons and has tapped into something special and got a shit load of publicity from it. As part of our AA programme, it promotes 'do someone a good turn and not get found out. It will not count if you tell someone." I cant tell you how frustrating that is, as my ego wants the world to know when I've done a good turn. That is true humility which I fail on regularly.


Some days though I have no thought for another human being let alone helping them with a random act of kindness so anything that promotes thinking of others is a good thing in my book. And a good antidote to my selfish ego.


I commend you Luke, though rather amusingly I caught my ego instantly reacting with jealousy that his diary made it to the Times and 1000's of people on Facebook. Thank god I have that Ego in check, just for today. (sniggers all round)


Nice one Luke.


(PS - does writing this blog count as a random act of kindness as apparently it helps people in the sense that I say shit that's in their head but they don't get a chance to say it, so by hearing me express it, it makes it OK to think that. Make sense? OK I'm talking shit. I helped an old girl open a door today though - does that count? Oh fuck, it doesn't because I didn't keep my stupid trap shut over doing it. Tits. Try again tomorrow.




Together We Are Stronger


NE







No comments:

Post a Comment