Thursday, April 10, 2014

Day 92 - This Beckham thing is getting ridiculous & How to write a blog.

I swear to god I don't see it. I genuinely don't think I look like Beckham.


But today, when I was out and about in London. On the tube, in Covent Garden, walking around all suited and booted for another exceptionally self important day work day, I was called it three times by separate people.


#BeckhamLook-a-likeWatch number 1 - Stroll past two young girls sat on a bench in the sun in Covent Garden. Both nudged each other, looked, laughed and said to each other 'Beckham'. I walked past smiling to myself.


#BeckhamLook-a-likeWatch number 2 - On the tube. Sat down opposite an Italian family of tourists. Daughter looks over a lot. Mum joins in. Daughter elbows Dad and whispers something. I lip read and see her mouthing the word 'Beckham'. Dad looks over and they both smile. Daughter 1 elbows daughter number 2 on her other side and does the same. Daughter number 2 looks and they all smile at each other. I get off the tube mouthing the words, 'no I'm not'.


#BeckhamLook-a-likewatch number 3 - Waiting to go into a meeting of 50 senior business people with a famous Olympic athlete to pitch for potential sponsorship deal. We go in. He does a world class motivational piece for 15 mins. I look on. Meeting ends, everyone goes to mingle. Marketing Director comes up to me and says, "two people asked me 'I thought you brought David Beckham in then." I reply, "funny you should say that."


Today is the first day I've noticed how many people stare or do a double take. I'm not saying that in an arrogant egotistical self loving kind of way (I know you'll be shocked as usually I am) but I genuinely saw it today when usually I don't. I'm not sure if it's because of the Easter Holidays and London is full of tourists. But when I'm out and about I get a shit load of stares. I'm sure people are doing a double take as apparently from a distance I look a little like him.


To me, you'd have to be squinting, pissed, forgot your glasses and be 1/2 mile away to think I look like a passing resemblance, but I am usually getting it about 4-5 times a week now. I'm yet to bump into him though for the ultimate selfie. I will keep you posted.


On other news, I had the pleasure of spending time and seeing a superb motivational speaker and coach today. An Olympic athlete who has also trained in psychology and sports science. What a man. A world class performer and ultra impressive. He brought his gold medals along but unfortunately I forgot my Maidenhead Boys Under 12 Wimpy Cup winners medal. So I couldn't join in the gold medal fest..


I had a tinge of less thans and 'oh my god he's the kind of speaker I'd love to be'. But I accepted my place, position, listened and enjoyed what he said. I lived in the moment and let my ego stand down for a while. It felt good to listen to learn and learn to listen. Pure AA that.


I also read a great article in the paper. It talked about how a new society of 'lengthy readers' have formed to champion reading literature and books in long form. It followed a study of how people have less time and patience to read and are resorting to skim reading, or flicking through to get the gist of the offering. It claimed social media and modern 'time sensitive' habits are making people the 'one click culture'. Where we demand everything instantly without putting much effort into it.


I get their point. There is so much information out there. Books, articles, blogs, studies, news. We are bombarded. So to try and cram it all in quickly, we resort to audio books, headline news, twitter, bite-size information, videos and other forms of digital communication.


I guess that's consumer culture for you.


I'm quite old school in the sense I don't package this blog into modern, marketing bite size and easy to follow pieces. This is my hobby. I suppose I could apply the tricks most others do, but I like writing in prose and sentences as sometimes I strike gold and enjoy some passages or the flow or rhythm I get into.


Sometimes it doesn't happen and I labour the point or go on too long. It's all practice I suppose but I enjoy a longer blog.


I'm not trying to sell you something or give you answers or be a textbook. I am sharing my experience in the hope it will entertain/inform/identify or help the reader connect in some ways.


So I'm, going to share with you, how the standard formulas for motivational/self development/ blogs are used on things like Huffington Post and many others you come across; See which you prefer;


"INSPIRATIONAL OR EYE CATCHING QUOTE"


Headline


Opening paragraph usually pointing out some kind of weakness/character defect, problem or observation. Have you ever wanted to lose weight, be happy, stop procrastinating? Must end in question mark.


Here's how you solve it/get happier/be more successful;


1 - Something that makes you feel pressured


2 - more pressure my now as you're thinking 'fuck I'm not doing this'


3 - Even more as you think 'I'm a failure'


4 - The killer blow as you say to yourself 'I'm never doing that


Glib sentence by the author to inform the reader they are indeed a failure as they aren't doing what the authors doing or living in a $5 million beach house property like the author.


Final conclusion that the reader is magnificent and can have all the amazing stuff the author has if they read their material, buy their book/DVD/Podcast adding more into their coffers and 2nd beachfront home.


End


At least that's what I'm building up to. What do you prefer? Should I package this blog up and be a little more modern and smarter or keep it old school? You choose readers........


Together We Are Stronger


NE







No comments:

Post a Comment