Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 91 - Sunday 1st April - Last Long Un

Mileage 20 miles; Time 2 hours 54mins; weekly mileage 40

April Fools Day. 3 weeks until marathon. My April Fools? Undoubtedly my Barnet today. It's developed a mind of it's own. Seems to be heading towards the jedwood/Beavis and Butthead area. That has to be an April Fools?


So to today. Three weeks left so i avoided the Kingston Breakfast run in favour of another 20 miler. I think i need another long one under my belt as I'm i haven't done enough of the real painful ones to prepare me. Time will tell, though that has been my downfall in the past.

The other downfall I've had in the past, not eating enough pre race, or binging on sugary shit the day before leaving me utterly fucked race day and running out of energy on mile 20. Either that or staying up way too late shagging. No chance of that this time.

I didn't eat though, as I've been ill all week and massive bloated stomach trouble so i thought i would try and survive on an oat cake and see how far i can last.

After my customary deliberation, shall i run early or later? meeting 1st or not? On and on i pontificated. Granted the designated pre training run diet of silk cut, tea, water, banana and oat cake is not in any of the marathon text books but it apparently is in mine. I decided to go out early.

It was sunny, weather cool. There were no excuses. On went the lycra, headband and i remembered to Vaseline up my nipples, toes and bollocks. I'm sure you're thrilled to know that. I decided for the 1st time to take my Ipod and listen to music. A new departure for me.

I liked it immediately as i listened to Queens of Stone Age, The Doors, Everlast and many more banging tunes. I really got into it and remembered why running to music is so cool as the adrenaline flowed through me quicker than a Vindaloo on senecol. I ate up the miles along the towpath, up to Richmond park (7 miles) and around the park i felt strong and powerful and in a great rhythm. I was loving it, smiling, feeling the buzz and visualising the marathon. Jimi Hendrix belted out and i kicked strong. It got a little tougher on around mile 12, but i felt OK and chugged along out of the park (14 miles) and back down to Richmond and the towpath back to Barnes. That's where it got tough (15 miles)

Basically i ran out of energy. I didn't take any fuel with me, and i hit the wall early. I'd gone off too quick too soon and not eaten enough. I entered into a world of pain. My pace slowed to that of a Mexican waiter. Crawling along. Stephen Hawkwind could have beaten me. I was fucked. Worse still i was 5 miles from home.

I crawled along the Towpath, Kew Bridge took ages to get to. Has someone moved it in the last hour? My mind was saying stop. Stop and walk. Give up. My stride got shorter than Simon Cowell's trousers. I was in trouble. And then it happened. The ultimate test of humility. The ego deflation only marathon running can do. I was passed by a 70 year old. Easily.

She sailed past, with her hubbie following her on a bike with nutrition and i was left for dead by a woman nearly double my age. Granted she looked like a proper marathon runner. But even so i was crushed. I looked around to see if there were any other pensioners on mobility scooters or walking frames about to pass. Luckily the coast was clear.

I was so knackered, almost starting to hallucinate, that i didn't care anymore. All i was thinking about was finishing. I finally did so on 2 hours 54 mins. Slower than last week and the polar opposite. Last week i felt shit for 12 miles and strong for last few. Today was the opposite. The running equivalent of premature ejaculation. I shot my bolt far too early.

Same as last years marathon, so in many ways it's good I've got this out of my system before the day, as i cannot do this again, because the thought of another 6 miles on top of how terrible i felt was a horrible feeling. World of Pain.

I did it though. Celebrated with a double meeting, some grub and my first fresh juice in ages. carrot, broccoli and spirulina. Which is sodding rank. I'd rather drink my own piss than that stuff. Fuck me, give me a tequila any day. Yuk

So there we have it. A quiet April Fools. Healthy and ran 28 miles this weekend. I'm better, I've got the mileage, I've made mistakes so it's all geared up for a good 'run in' for the marathon as i taper down now, from Ginsters slices, to scotch eggs, to savoury eggs and then finally to mini eggs. It;s a crucial process.

Tired now so I'm off to bed. Enjoy the video i posted and if you fancy helping me out, I'd well appreciate a bit of sponsorship. Link at top of the page

big love people have a tidy week

xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment