Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 125 - D-Day

It's been a long day. Up at 5. Work at 6. Organised and hosted a Big event. Long day at another event with 500 pissed people and then a meeting tonight. In at 10.30pm. Pooped.


But you know what, how dare I even make myself out to have a tough long day when today is the anniversary of the D Day Landing. When thousands of troops landed on a French Beach to fight the Germans in World War 2 to secure the freedom of Europe.


To some It's been a little lost in time. Some have diminished it and clichéd the 'during the war' brigade. Writing them off as irrelevant, old and out of touch.


Not me. There is a danger that in modern society with all the technological, medical and economic advances that somehow we think we are better now.


I wonder what those men sitting in a boat for hours, through the sea, crammed in, some of which knew they were heading for certain death, to take to a beach laden with mines, being shot at, would have thought of this generation?


Would they have respected a man writing a blog at 10pm and moaning he's had 'a long day'. Would they have respected Facebook, social media, X Box, obesity and Made In Chelsea?


I know it's a different time and not fair to compare. Time changes, society evolves or revolves. But these men were warriors. True, proper men.


Sometimes I'm ashamed to call myself a man next to those boys. I'm not worthy of my British ancestors with the amount I bitch and moan and avoid responsibility. These boys were true warriors and deserve utmost respect.


We commend those special men. When you read about it, it is mind boggling. Saving Private Ryan doesn't do it justice. What horrors must they have seen and experienced?


Then they went on to build good lives. Honest lives. Good people. Good men. Something for me to learn from. Heroes. Legends.


That is all


PS - I saw a 43 year old man in 3/4 length jeans and white vest today with trainers and socks. Not sure our forefathers would have taken to that look. Mind you, I'm a fine one to talk. Those tough bastards landed on a Normandy beach and secured the freedom of Europe and their future countrymen just so I had the freedom 70 years on to walk around looking like an 80's Bee Gee. Cheers boys. We owe you.


Together We Are Stronger


Nicholas E Evans



No comments:

Post a Comment