Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day 227 Mon 27th Aug - Off on hols and apparently i'm famous


Today is the day of the holiday. Flying off to Turkey for a week. My 6th time in Turkey and the south coast is one of my favourite places. Gorgeous coastline, turquoise waters, great weather and endless grilled meat n veg. You can be sure of it. Everyone has thick taches, even the women. I love it.

I so love the whole holiday experience. Getting your local currency changed. Informing your bank and Mobile Phone Company. Buying toiletries and creams you probably won’t need, Packing tea bags in case they haven’t got the right ones. Trying to guess what clothes you need. ‘Shall I take a jumper? What if it’s chilly at night? The excitement, the preparation, as if you are leaving for a remote island that has no humanity. Forgetting it’s only Turkey for a week.
 
It reminds me of one of the first holidays i went on years ago with my 1st proper girlfriend. We went to marmaris on some dreadful cheap package deal. One couple were moaning how they didn't know how they would get through a whole week wothout KFC. "Will they have water? Do you think think they'll have TV?" were some of the questions the oversized travel rep had to contend with. No matter, we are going solo having booked it individually, so it should all be cool.

The only trouble is a 6am flight, which means leaving at 3am, which means 2 hours sleep, on top of my endless lurgy and chronic fatigue. Now I don’t operate very well on a little sleep and if you double it up with feeling rank that equals grumpy sod. Tolerance and patience are two commodities I rarely deal in & we are flying Monarch which in my experience is like Primark with wings, it will be a test.

 
Managed to get up at said time. Alarm at 2am is just wrong. Rounded up the girls, get the obvious too much luggage into the small car. Why do most women pack as if they are going away for a 3 month break? It was also nice to see the difference between men and women. My case was effectively like the inside of an Eton Mess, thrown together, the woman’s case was neatly prepared and organised. Nice.

The bonus at travelling that time of the night is no traffic; the downside is falling asleep at the wheel. You have to balance these things out.

Then there was the whole classic airport departure experience. I love it

I had warned my travel companions, who I’m sure won’t mind me saying have been used to a more luxurious style of travel and holidays of the Monarch experience and also of the room in the all inclusive place in Fetithyre. My plan was play down expectations.

 
So their expectations were of a sort of battery farm chicken pen of a journey and a hotel similar to that of a Syrian POW camp. It could only get better.

 
In a fit of untypical organisation I had pre booked the car park, which enabled me to do the man thing and struggle with 3 massive cases whilst the girls took the hand luggage. There was the queue for the long stay bus to the terminal but finally we got to the Monarch check in, which really was exactly the same as the queue for the till in Primark. Amazing.

 
The thing I love about Monarch is they give the option to purchase another 6 inches of leg room for £40. Now most guys would jump at the offer of another 6 inches, but for me I refused. It’s ludicrous.

 
I was fascinated by the travel fashion. It seems the brands of choice were Umbro & Lonsdale. Sports Direct must have done a roaring trade. There is the occasional couple who were over dressed; obviously feeling above the rest of the plankton on the plane, but for most it’s definitely ‘leisurewear’ as the outfit of choice. It’s rather like people dress in JD wetherspoons for an all day session.

 
Then, after check in and going through security, you are through to the Promised Land. The big playground of fun. Duty Free. Departure lounge. Oh my god it’s amazing. Here you’re holiday starts and all I want to do is buy loads of shit I don’t need, won’t use or wear but feel good getting it anyway.

 
Obviously you start with 200 snouts,then aftershave. do I need new sunglasses? How about a DVD box set? Got to get a massive Toblerone, new swimming trunks, let’s get some breakfast and a coffee. Magazines. I’ve only got 4 books; let’s get another 10 after all we are going for a week. Oh look All Saints, my favourite shop, some t-shirts; oh I like that leather jacket. I mean its ridiculous – all you’re shopping greed into 1 frenzied hour. You lose control of your senses. And of course you always end up nearly missing your flight.

 

Last ones on, always. It was just that final tour around WH Smith & large baqg of M&M's that did it.

 
Then the plane, luckily we had 3 seats in a row and it wasn’t too bad. I didn’t stay awake long enough to check out the food or TV as I immediately feel asleep. Usually I can’t kip on planes, but I passed out immediately, waking up an hour or two later with a stiff neck and drool hanging from my mouth. Attractive. Then every time I tried to read I drifted off.

 
I was pleased it was only 4 hours as I have done a 12 hour on Monarch. Usually you get to the 8 hour mark before you want to kill yourself. This one was extremely painless.

 
Get to Dalaman airport, Easy access, quick pick up, into waiting private transfer car (I was expecting the wagon coach to tour around all hotel before getting to ours so I was nicely surprised at this air-conditioned taxi)

 
Then after 1 hour of beautiful rolling mountains and coastline we got to the hotel, which was stunning, beautiful, sweet and really hot. Bonus!

 
I tried my best to charm the Russian receptionist, throwing out loads of lies that it’s birthdays, special occasions and I am a triathlete and need lots of room so can we have an upgrade please.

 
I was expecting the room to be like my Aunties’ from 1956, but it was actually really lovely, modern, big and clean. Get in; the final obstacle had been cleared. Everything was groovy.

 
Clearly my hours of research on Trip adviser had paid off. We had chosen well. Everything was cushty.All that was needed now was me to get well as I felt like shit warmed up.

 
The Day was spent lazing by the pool, eating at the buffet restaurant which was an experience, as there was so much food on offer, there were massive people dotted around the restaurant shovelling in food whilst blankly looking into the distance. It’s an overeater’s paradise or is that hell?

 
Still I’m going Paleo diet this week (caveman), perfect place for grilled meat, fish and veg. Fuck the carbs and sugar. I’m going to try and get healthy this week. Sick of feeling like shit. I’ve even gone 24 hours without diet coke so I’m aching everywhere. Mind you I’m still smoking like a trouper, even though I’ve got a sore throat and flu like symptoms. One thing at a time huh,

 
Crashed out at 5pm in bed, and then was spark asleep by 11pm. Wow what I riot I am. Outlasted by a 10 year old. Rock and roll. But today was a total triumph. I didn’t lose my temper. I didn’t criticise, I wasn’t awful to anyone. I didn’t get arrested, airport and hotel security were not needed to be called, and I just quietly got on with it, like a little lamb. A brave little soldier. Let’s hope I feel human tomorrow, as I’m desperate to get out and run on that coastline. It truly is stunning and I’m happy to be ‘on me holidays’

 
Oh and PS – I got so many messages from people today, as the Tesco mobile advert I filmed a few months ago came out and I was in it! Very funny people going ‘fuck me, is that Nick’. Well yes it was me, mincing about in red Speedos in Kew Gardens pretending to be an arrogant yoga teacher. I didn’t actually tell the film people I hadn’t done yoga for 6 months or that I was banned from Richmond studio for arguing with the owner, in class, but hey fuck it; at least I looked the part. I'd just like to state on record THEY gave me those budgie smugglers to wear in the advert, though i am actually a great big tart and love them.



 
It was so easy and funny that my 5 seconds of fame was on a Tesco advert. I just wish it was Waitrose, would have got more money, however at least it wasn’t Lidel. I would have been fucked then. Still everyone’s got to start somewhere. Who knows next year I may even be advertising David Beckham Pants in H&M.

 

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment