Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 219 - Thurs 9th Aug - Olympic day 13 - Inspiration

What caught my eye at day 13 of the 'Lympics today? Simple. Two words,  'rythmic' & 'gymnastics'.

Holy fuck tits. Did you see it? Wow. Nimble flexible hotties with amazing bodies dolled up in sparkling leotards and heavy make up rolling a ball around a mat in unusual positions. Talk about finding it hard to concentrate on the sport. I'm a fan. Sod the beach volleyball.

I was so enthralled i almost missed Bolt winning the 200m, becoming the 1st man ever to win gold medals in consecutive games in 100 and 200m. I Reckon he should keep going until Rio. The man is a true icon. Superb!

I almost missed Gold for GB in the Dressage, Female boxing and taekwondo. I was so locked into those supple, incredible hard body gymnasts. I wonder how i go about being a judge?

Well pleased GB got gold in dressage but i still don't really get it. For horsey types they love it. Getting a horse to trot, run on the spot and so on, but it's not really something that grips or interests me. They went all out for the British thing - performing it in front of the royal Greenwich maritime museum to a soundtrack of 'Rule Britnnia' and other 'Last night of the proms' tracks. There was a real hint of elitist naffness to it all but i guess all that is put to one side for 'lympic gold. Still i bet the Daily Mail will be all over that one tomorrow

The sport i really loved was Taekwondo. Brilliant. 3 points for a kick to the head!!! splendid. The only time you can scream 'Kick him/her head' and get away with it. Pure release. Massive congrats to the welshie Jade Jones who got Gold. Only 19, good on her, Jesus at 19 i was just getting into Blue Microdots. #wrongturn.

Name of the day goes to Michael Stamper of GB. What a great name for taekwondo. Is there a more aptly named Athlete in the games? Although David Shotput maybe in with a shout. (Ok i made that bit up)

There is allot of talk about inspiration in these games. It is a word that gets banded around these days. But what does it mean? Well to me it means if you see an Athlete performing well, laying it on the line. Getting the most out of themselves, racked in pain and emotion it really stirs you like nothing else.

That in essence is the beauty of the Olympics and sport. It is  pure emotion. Purest sporting achievement transcends pretty much everything else and makes you think, 'wow i want to do something great'. That is what inspires you to actually do something.


Evans Cycles have reported a 30% increase in sales of Road bikes. I saw an old bloke road testing a bike outside Halfords yesterday. Overweight, work trousers straining he wobbled down the street probably for the first time in 30 years, about to buy his bike no doubt inspired by the cyclists. So, it has worked on many levels. It does seem to have inspired the country.

But here comes the money shot? Will it last? When it all goes away maintaining that dedication and focus to keep going. No-one sees all the hours of lonely training the athletes do in order to prepare themselves for this 'lympics and their moment of glory. It's the years of daily slog that gets them to those moments of sporting greatness that inspires us. Are we prepared to do that? Am i?

Me? Well i run, do triathlons, marathons and work out regularly. What has the 'lympics done for me? Deep down i know i haven't really really pushed myself to be the best ironman or marathon runner i can be. I have done semi respectable times but inside i know i have 'coasted' just a little, so today, inspired by the Brownlee Brothers in the 'Lympic triathlon on Tuesday when they totally hung themselves out running the 10k as fast as possible i decided to do the same.

I ran my quickest 8km ever. I started quick, got quicker and tried to hang in there. Fuck me i was hanging at the end, falling over and almost retching. I had turned myself inside out. Granted the Brownlee brothers didn't have to contend with silk cut lungs but i did OK and i felt somewhat purged.

It has made me to Toy with idea of doing a 3rd Ironman next year, or even an Olympic triathlon in September. I feel the need to train for something to focus and perform. It makes me feel good and it's quite fun to test yourself.

So that's my little inspiration today, whats yours? Oh and of course i forgot my other inspiration to fulfil my new found ambition to become a rhythmic gymnastic judge. Yuk, what a perve.

xx

@comedychops







No comments:

Post a Comment