Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 205 - Weds 25th July - Jumpsuit v Leather suit

Good news! Managed to Book an awesome band for Pub Idle 2, XXX Factor, my 40th birthday shin dig. I did something similar for my 30th, (i can't believe it's 10 years)

I really cannot stand having a party about me, for me. Even for someone as self obsessed as me, it would be too cringe and embarrassing, so i produced a template for a kind of pub cabaret singing competition show type thing 10 years ago called Pub Idle.

Pop idol was big at the time, and i had just spent 10 years sitting on a bar stool drinking, in a pub saying what i was going to do but to bone idle to do anything about it. So when i got sober and then shortly after i had my 30th birthday. Pub idle was born.

The basic premise was to have a party where everyone was encouraged to dress as rock star/pop stars then invite 8 people up to sing in the style of their chosen act (Karaoke but with more humour) - we had judges, a promo film and i acted as MC all night & dressed as Elvis (1970's jumpsuit) but making the cardinal sin of forgetting my pants, it was not a pretty sight for anyone. I still have nightmares.

It was a top night and we did it for a couple of years, making a new promo film with the genius mates Cooper & Burge who did all the filming and editing. Such a scream, doing a pastiche of Beastie Boys Sabotage music video.

Now they have done what i was supposed to do in the last 10 years, get married, have kids, have no time. There is no chance of a 3rd film of the trilogy being done (not for another 10 years anyway until they get a life again when their kids grow up) There is however a return of Pub Idle for my 40th. This time with a live band and Elvis in pants. It will be epic.

Obviously i can't really sing and make a real tit of myself, but when else can a man wear a skintight white jumpsuit in public with complete abandon? They are brilliant. If i had my way i would have one for every day of the week, it's just without pockets i would be forced to have a man bag to carry my stuff around. Elvis employed people to carry his things. Instead of phone, wallet, keys, money, he carried donuts, prescription drugs, nappies and a gun around. I'm not at that level yet.

Once jumpsuit is on, there is most definately a character change. You cannot take yourself seriously, you start grinding your hips and standing with a legs wide apart stance and you cannot help but feel like a rutting dog with a lampost. I am considering whether to return to the jumpsuit; I know it's become a sort of joke with so many poor qulity suits, shades, hair etc - but i actually quite like the jumpsuit. You will not be suprised.



Or as people have suggested go with the 68 comeback special black leather type look

That look was pure class. Tigh black leather suit and total rock legend look. Who wouldn't want to look like that?



There is no doubt that Elvis was a good looking boy and super talented. In his 68 black leather special he looks superb, but trying to replicate that from 'partyzone' in Isleworth is not going to happen. It;s more a Primark Elvis. Than Elvis in his prime.The quality of some of these places make that outfit look more like Black bin liner than black leather and more Alison Moyet than Elvis. It's hard to pull off (unlike me)

Plus i am drawn to the Vegas jumpsuit era. It's ridiculous, over the top and skin tight. All the things i appear to be. Nuts. Oh how i long to be mean, moody, brooding, black leather rock god prowling round the stage like a panther with a growling voice. Instead i fear I'm more Liberace pantomime dame, poncing round the stage in tight jumpsuit and jewels squealing like a pig. I have a month to prepare.

I need help people. Black leather or Vegas Jumpsuit? Which one to do?

x







No comments:

Post a Comment