Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 186 - Thursday 5th July - Comedy Night

It's that time of the month again. No not my period, though my sometimes highly strung state, may make some people wonder. I mean it's comedy night.

My monthly sentence. Where all my collection of fears and procrastination crystalises into a few hours. I've only had 18 months to get used to it, and still i shit bricks.

I'm here again, that heady mix of not preparing by writing material, worrying about what i'm going to say and castigating myself for not writing. Seems i like to be stuck. My bad. No-one else to blame.

So what to do about it? Well, i wrote some stuff. I put down bits from my blog i wrote on the Jubilee, sucking my own cock in the Skype casting for the Tescos mobile advert, The idiot in the Doctors surgery and Andy Murray at Wimbledon. I re-read my blogs and thought they were rather good, didn't manage to edit down to tight jokes but fuk it, it will have to do.

I added in a few gags from the riots last summer (Year ago this month) and hey presto i had some things to say. I chilled the fuck out, had a word with myself, decided it really wasn't that important in the scheme of things, picked up the meat raffle from Organic Butchers (sponsored), Krispy kremes (for worst month competition - i win), did a few errands and then like all good comedians, i fucked off to bed for the afternoon. Knackered.

When i woke, i was even more knackered, why do afternoon sleeps make you more tired? Not sure i could survive in Spain. After a siesta i'd never make it back to work. Fuck that, more sleep then Flog it!

I eventually came round and felt refreshed, I received a nice email for potential business thingymejig that doesnt relate to anything stationary related, so i left for comedy in decent mental shape. My angst and fear had reduced to manageable levels, as opposed to nuclear strength earlier.

I actually enjoyed the evening, all the comedians were really good (even the first guy who attacked Adele, Beyonce to a 70% female audicne and bombed i enjoyed), i got some laughs, dod some material. I even didn't worry so much that not mny people came (35ish). Overall i enjoyed myself for once and was chilled.

I accepted it's not just about me, it's the comedians, it's only a monthly pub night and everyones entire existence doesn't revolve around Comedy Chops. When i took that attitude it relaxed me. Bring some more of that attititude on please.

So, another one is over. I'm a little worried people are getting bored of the same format, numbers are half of what they were 3 months ago. I may have to pull out the big guns and display Best of Flog it, on the big screen. Failing that employ the Beast of Barnes Surgery as Maitre D. People would come for miles just to experience her insanity. #psychiatric comedy.

Overall it Was a fine comedy night and a great reason for running the club, as it was 4 distinctly different styles of live comedy - the only true artform and i fucking loved it

x



No comments:

Post a Comment