Sunday, May 18, 2014

Day 113 - The Difference Between Recovery and Non Recovery

** Before I begin I have spent 2 hours trying to upload images onto this blog only for BlogSpot to not let me. It is shit and I am close to throwing this laptop out of the window. Which is not a good idea because it is work's because I'm such a knob-head I left mine on the tube. I am pissed off. I have sworn more than ever in my life. Instead of re-writing I'm going to proceed without the images which makes the entire blog redundant. It's BlogSpot's fault it's shit. So if anyone is reading and likes my blog and wants to build me my own site and blog then message me because I hope BlogSpot dies of some kind of technological venereal disease. Bastards. Blog bastards. Big fucking bastard blogfucking wankers-spot bastards. **

Much has been written about recovery and non recovery. To most people it is difficult to understand and not really high on their agenda. That's fair enough I suppose. All I'm trying to do is to place addiction on the same table as other diseases in terms of awareness and education. Simple as that really. So I thought I would briefly try and explain in easy to understand, every day terms, the difference between recovery and non recovery. Let me set the scene. I went to my Mum's with Girlfriend for Sunday lunch. After setting the UK record for pork sausage eating and my post lunch kip in the sun, we started chatting about recovery. I'm sure she wont mind me saying that her life was devastated by alcoholism through my Dad, brother and to a lesser extent mine, over 30 years. It is only recently she has gone to Alanon and it has completely changed her life, how she handles the insanity in the family and is of great help and solace to her. It's remarkable and I'm so very proud.




She was talking about life situations and she said the sentence,


"If this would have happened before I would have been beside myself with worrying 24/7 but since walking a spiritual path (recovery) I just know it's going to be OK. It's like night and day."





This got me thinking as the conversation continued. I looked around the garden thinking, 'before and after', 'before and after'. 'Night and day'. There was a radical statement that she had said so matter of fact. One could almost miss it.




My mind raced, I wanted to find something to show that statement. My eyes scanned the garden. Then bingo. I spotted it. I dragged it into the middle of the garden and said to my Mum. "Can I show you the difference between recovery and non recovery as you just said."Yes of course darling/"




"OK, this is non recovery" (Here a picture of me on a garden chair without a cushion looking pained if only those wankers at Blogspot would let me upload an image)















"What do you see?" I asked.
"Er, someone with piles?" replied my Mum
"No, I mean with the chair. No cushion."
"Oh, I see. Well it's hard, uncomfortable and difficult to sit on."
"Precisely"



And now, when I put the cushion on?

(A picture of me on Garden chair with a big cushion looking happy if only those wankers at BlogSpot would enable me to do something revolutionary and add more than 1 image)




"Easier, more comfortable, less painful." Said my Mum. 'Thank you'


That is essentially the difference between recovery and non recovery through the medium of garden furniture. It may well be a first for the recovery industry that. Not sure it will take off though, but you get my point. My Mum quite liked it anyway.


To end. Here's a pic of my two girls and a massive tray of meat. I could only in the end upload one image. So I went with my girls instead of my meat. It was a close run thing. But What more could a man want on a sunny Sunday afternoon. Bye for now.






Together We Are Stronger

Nicholas E Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment