Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 149 - Just another day in sobriety

Not a lot happened today. Woke up, went to a meeting, met a mate for coffee, chatted about their relationship, offered my customary advice, did a workout, oh and bumped into a Hollywood A lister and had a cup of tea for an hour. Just the usual day in Richmond really.

It was bizarre, my mate knew him from the firm (meetings), I didn't but it was still a rather odd occurrence to stand in Richmond talking movies, recovery, addiction and low self esteem with a bloke who was in one of my favourite movies of all time.

I'm not going to blow his anonymity or be one of those wankers who limply claims cool esteem because I know someone who knows xxxxx. That would make me even more desperate and knobbish than I usually am.

But it was fun and interesting. My mate is a terrific people person and makes people feel at ease. He's very sociable and treats all people the same. Whether you are a movie star or street cleaner he is class with people. I liked seeing him in action, as he greeted this guy like a long last brother, so starting a really easy hour long conversation.

Some of the things I learnt from the conversation were as follows;

1 - I really liked the guy - humble, open, honest, mad and slight neurotic. Funny how we connected isn't it?

2 - Didn't take himself too seriously - would I really be the same if I found fame. Respect

3 - I learnt the difference between an actor and movie star. There is a difference

4 - Apparently fame, money, power and prestige doesn't take away that awful low self esteem and 'hole in the soul'

5 - He didn't take acting too seriously as a profession

6 - I only felt less than on one occasion when he was talking about going in a fighter jet that week and I realised the main thing I had done this week was complete a 24 page power-point presentation

7 - My girlfriend went weak at the knees  when I mentioned it , saying 'Oh my God I love him,'  showing far more animation and excitement than she ever has with me. Not that I'm resentful, jealous or have insecurity. I take solace that at least I was taller than him.

I salute you Mr actor. And my mate for introducing me. I like to see people doing well and being good at their jobs. This dude certainly is that, plus to see my mate welcome people and talk to them like they're the most important person in the world was something that really impressed me. He has no idea of course, but it was brilliant to watch.

PS - If I read, see, hear or read any further reference to it being 'hotter than Ibiza', 'scorching' or 'too hot' I'll scream and not ice cream. It's the fucking summer and we're in the middle of global warming. I'm sorry for all the elderly and weak who suffer with their health in this weather and of course I'm concerned by the state of the planet but lets call it right, at the end of the day I've got a killer tan and as we all know on the Inside Job it's all about the outside, image and how you look right? Sorry earth but I look so much healthier

Together We Are Stronger

Nicholas E Evans

No comments:

Post a Comment